adjective satellite characterized by lightness and insubstantiality; as impalpable or intangible as air
airy; aeriform; aerial; aery.
- figures light and aeriform come unlooked for and melt away"- Thomas Carlyle
- aerial fancies
- an airy apparition
- physical rather than ethereal forms
adjective of or containing or dissolved in ether
adjective satellite of heaven or the spirit
- celestial peace
- ethereal melodies
- the supernal happiness of a quiet death
adjective satellite characterized by unusual lightness and delicacy
- this smallest and most ethereal of birds
- gossamer shading through his playing
- Pertaining to the hypothetical upper, purer air, or to the higher regions beyond the earth or beyond the atmosphere; celestial; as, ethereal space; ethereal regions.
Go, heavenly guest, ethereal messenger.
- Consisting of ether; hence, exceedingly light or airy; tenuous; spiritlike; characterized by extreme delicacy, as form, manner, thought, etc.
Vast chain of being, which from God began,
Natures ethereal, human, angel, man.
- (Chem.) Pertaining to, derived from, or resembling, ether; as, ethereal salts.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!