dressing Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun savory dressings for salads; basically of two kinds: either the thin French or vinaigrette type or the creamy mayonnaise type
noun a mixture of seasoned ingredients used to stuff meats and vegetables
noun making fertile as by applying fertilizer or manure
fecundation; fertilisation; fertilization.
noun a cloth covering for a wound or sore
noun processes in the conversion of rough hides into leather
noun the activity of getting dressed; putting on clothes
noun the act of applying a bandage
verb put on clothes
get dressed; dress.
- we had to dress quickly
- dress the patient
- Can the child dress by herself?
verb provide with clothes or put clothes on
enclothe; garment; fit out; garb; raiment; apparel; habilitate; dress; tog; clothe.
- Parents must feed and dress their child
verb put a finish on
verb dress in a certain manner
dress up; dress.
- She dresses in the latest Paris fashion
- he dressed up in a suit and tie
verb dress or groom with elaborate care
plume; dress; primp; preen.
- She likes to dress when going to the opera
verb kill and prepare for market or consumption
dress out; dress.
verb arrange in ranks
line up; dress.
verb decorate (food), as with parsley or other ornamental foods
trim; garnish; dress.
verb provide with decoration
verb put a dressing on
verb cultivate, tend, and cut back the growth of
trim; prune; clip; cut back; crop; snip; lop; dress.
- dress the plants in the garden
verb cut down rough-hewn (lumber) to standard thickness and width
verb convert into leather
verb apply a bandage or medication to
- dress the victim's wounds
verb give a neat appearance to
curry; groom; dress.
- groom the dogs
- dress the horses
verb arrange attractively
do; set; coiffe; coif; coiffure; dress; arrange.
- dress my hair for the wedding
- Dress; raiment; especially, ornamental habiliment or attire.
- (Surg.) An application (a remedy, bandage, etc.) to a sore or wound.
- Manure or compost over land. When it remains on the surface, it is called a top-dressing.
- (Cookery) (a) A preparation to fit food for use; a condiment; as, a dressing for salad. (b) The stuffing of fowls, pigs, etc.; forcemeat.
- Gum, starch, and the like, used in stiffening or finishing silk, linen, and other fabrics.
- An ornamental finish, as a molding around doors, windows, or on a ceiling, etc.
- Castigation; scolding; -- often with down. Colloq.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters