noun increase by a factor of two
- doubling with a computer took no time at all
noun raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2
- I decided his double was a bluff
verb increase twofold
- The population doubled within 50 years
verb hit a two-base hit
verb bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain
double up; double; double over.
- He doubled and vomited violently
verb do double duty; serve two purposes or have two functions
- She doubles as his wife and secretary
verb bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
verb make or do or perform again
double; duplicate; repeat; replicate; reduplicate.
- He could never replicate his brilliant performance of the magic trick
- The act of one that doubles; a making double; reduplication; also, that which is doubled.
- A turning and winding; as, the doubling of a hunted hare; shift; trick; artifice.
- (Her.) The lining of the mantle borne about the shield or escutcheon.
- The process of redistilling spirits, to improve the strength and flavor.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!