devout Meaning, Definition & Usage
adjective satellite deeply religious
- a god-fearing and law-abiding people" H.L.Mencken
adjective satellite earnest
dear; earnest; heartfelt.
- one's dearest wish
- devout wishes for their success
- heartfelt condolences
, F. dévot
, from L. devotus
devoted, p. p. of devovere
. See Devote
, v. t.
- Devoted to religion or to religious feelings and duties; absorbed in religious exercises; given to devotion; pious; reverent; religious.
A devout man, and one that feared God.
Acts x. 2.
We must be constant and devout in the worship of God.
- Expressing devotion or piety; as, eyes devout; sighs devout; a devout posture.
- Warmly devoted; hearty; sincere; earnest; as, devout wishes for one's welfare.
Syn. -- Holy; pure; religious; prayerful; pious; earnest; reverent; solemn; sincere.
- A devotee. Obs.
- A devotional composition, or part of a composition; devotion. Obs.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters