noun the act of examining resemblances
- they made a comparison of noise levels
- the fractions selected for comparison must require pupils to consider both numerator and denominator
verb examine and note the similarities or differences of
- John compared his haircut to his friend's
- We compared notes after we had both seen the movie
verb be comparable
- This car does not compare with our line of Mercedes
verb consider or describe as similar, equal, or analogous
liken; compare; equate.
- We can compare the Han dynasty to the Romans
- You cannot equate success in financial matters with greed
verb to form the comparative or superlative form on an adjective or adverb
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!