clothes Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun clothing in general
apparel; dress; wearing apparel.
- she was refined in her choice of apparel
- he always bought his clothes at the same store
- fastidious about his dress
verb provide with clothes or put clothes on
enclothe; garment; fit out; garb; raiment; apparel; habilitate; dress; tog; clothe.
- Parents must feed and dress their child
verb furnish with power or authority; of kings or emperors
invest; adorn; clothe.
verb cover as if with clothing
robe; drape; cloak; clothe.
- the mountain was clothed in tropical trees
Clothes noun plural
- Covering for the human body; dress; vestments; vesture; -- a general term for whatever covering is worn, or is made to be worn, for decency or comfort.
She . . . speaks well, and has excellent good clothes.
If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.
Mark. v. 28.
- The covering of a bed; bedclothes.
She turned each way her frighted head,
Then sunk it deep beneath the clothes.
Syn. -- Garments; dress; clothing; apparel; attire; vesture; raiment; garb; costume; habit; habiliments.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters