noun light machine gun
automatic rifle; machine rifle.
noun a pistol that will keep firing until the ammunition is gone or the trigger is released
adjective operating with minimal human intervention; independent of external control
- automatic transmission
- a budget deficit that caused automatic spending cuts
adjective satellite resembling the unthinking functioning of a machine
robotlike; machinelike; automatonlike; robotic.
- an automatic `thank you'
- machinelike efficiency
adjective satellite without volition or conscious control
- the automatic shrinking of the pupils of the eye in strong light
- a reflex knee jerk
- sneezing is reflexive
Au`to*mat"ic, Au`to*mat"ic*al adjective
Cf. F. automatique
. See Automaton
- Having an inherent power of action or motion.
Nothing can be said to be automatic.
Sir H. Davy.
- Pertaining to, or produced by, an automaton; of the nature of an automaton; self-acting or self-regulating under fixed conditions; -- esp. applied to machinery or devices in which certain things formerly or usually done by hand are done by the machine or device itself; as, the automatic feed of a lathe; automatic gas lighting; an automatic engine or switch; an automatic mouse.
- Not voluntary; not depending on the will; mechanical; as, automatic movements or functions.
Unconscious or automatic reasoning.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!