noun a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography)
- it was a mountainous area
- Bible country
noun a subject of study
- it was his area of specialization
- areas of interest include...
noun a part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve
noun a particular environment or walk of life
arena; domain; sphere; orbit; field.
- his social sphere is limited
- it was a closed area of employment
- he's out of my orbit
noun a part of a structure having some specific characteristic or function
- the spacious cooking area provided plenty of room for servants
noun the extent of a 2-dimensional surface enclosed within a boundary
surface area; expanse.
- the area of a rectangle
- it was about 500 square feet in area
a broad piece of level gro. Cf. Are
- Any plane surface, as of the floor of a room or church, or of the ground within an inclosure; an open space in a building.
The Alban lake . . . looks like the area of some vast amphitheater.
- The inclosed space on which a building stands.
- The sunken space or court, giving ingress and affording light to the basement of a building.
- An extent of surface; a tract of the earth's surface; a region; as, vast uncultivated areas.
- (Geom.) The superficial contents of any figure; the surface included within any given lines; superficial extent; as, the area of a square or a triangle.
- (Biol.) A spot or small marked space; as, the germinative area.
- Extent; scope; range; as, a wide area of thought.
The largest area of human history and man's common nature.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!