applied Meaning, Definition & Usage
verb put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose
employ; apply; use; utilize; utilise.
- use your head!
- we only use Spanish at home
- I can't use this tool
- Apply a magnetic field here
- This thinking was applied to many projects
- How do you utilize this tool?
- I apply this rule to get good results
- use the plastic bags to store the food
- He doesn't know how to use a computer
verb be pertinent or relevant or applicable
apply; hold; go for.
- The same laws apply to you!
- This theory holds for all irrational numbers
- The same rules go for everyone
verb ask (for something)
- He applied for a leave of absence
- She applied for college
- apply for a job
verb apply to a surface
apply; put on.
- She applied paint to the back of the house
- Put on make-up!
verb be applicable to; as to an analysis
lend oneself; apply.
- This theory lends itself well to our new data
verb give or convey physically
- She gave him First Aid
- I gave him a punch in the nose
verb avail oneself to
apply; use; practice.
- apply a principle
- practice a religion
- use care when going down the stairs
- use your common sense
- practice non-violent resistance
verb ensure observance of laws and rules;
apply; implement; enforce.
- Apply the rules to everyone
verb refer (a word or name) to a person or thing
- He applied this racial slur to me!
verb apply oneself to
- Please apply yourself to your homework
adjective concerned with concrete problems or data rather than with fundamental principles
- applied physics
- applied psychology
- technical problems in medicine, engineering, economics and other applied disciplines"- Sidney Hook
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment Rise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles