verb react verbally
answer; reply; respond.
- She didn't want to answer
- answer the question
- We answered that we would accept the invitation
verb respond to a signal
- answer the door
- answer the telephone
verb give the correct answer or solution to
- answer a question
- answer the riddle
verb understand the meaning of
- The question concerning the meaning of life cannot be answered
verb give a defence or refutation of (a charge) or in (an argument)
- The defendant answered to all the charges of the prosecution
verb be liable or accountable
- She must answer for her actions
verb be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
answer; do; suffice; serve.
- A few words would answer
- This car suits my purpose well
- Will $100 do?
- A 'B' grade doesn't suffice to get me into medical school
- Nothing else will serve
verb match or correspond
- The drawing of the suspect answers to the description the victim gave
verb be satisfactory for; meet the requirements of or serve the purpose of
- This may answer her needs
verb react to a stimulus or command
- The steering of my new car answers to the slightest touch
adjective satellite replying
- an answering glance
- an answering smile
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!