altogether Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun informal terms for nakedness
birthday suit; raw.
- in the raw
- in the altogether
- in his birthday suit
adverb to a complete degree or to the full or entire extent (`whole' is often used informally for `wholly')
all; whole; wholly; completely; entirely; totally.
- he was wholly convinced
- entirely satisfied with the meal
- it was completely different from what we expected
- was completely at fault
- a totally new situation
- the directions were all wrong
- it was not altogether her fault
- an altogether new approach
- a whole new idea
adverb with everything included or counted
all told; in all.
- altogether he earns close to a million dollars
adverb with everything considered (and neglecting details)
on the whole; tout ensemble; all in all.
- altogether, I'm sorry it happened
- all in all, it's not so bad
all + togedere
together. See Together
- All together; conjointly. Obs.
Altogether they wen at once.
- Without exception; wholly; completely.
Every man at his best state is altogether vanity.
Ps. xxxix. 5.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters