ahead Meaning, Definition & Usage
adjective satellite having the leading position or higher score in a contest
leading; in the lead.
- he is ahead by a pawn
- the leading team in the pennant race
adverb at or in the front
in front; before.
- I see the lights of a town ahead
- the road ahead is foggy
- staring straight ahead
- we couldn't see over the heads of the people in front
- with the cross of Jesus marching on before
adverb toward the future; forward in time
- I like to look ahead in imagination to what the future may bring
- I look forward to seeing you
adverb in a forward direction
forwards; onward; onwards; forward; forrader.
- go ahead
- the train moved ahead slowly
- the boat lurched ahead
- moved onward into the forest
- they went slowly forward in the mud
adverb ahead of time; in anticipation
beforehand; in advance.
- when you pay ahead (or in advance) you receive a discount
- We like to plan ahead
- should have made reservations beforehand
adverb to a more advanced or advantageous position
- a young man sure to get ahead
- pushing talented students ahead
adverb to a different or a more advanced time (meaning advanced either toward the present or toward the future)
- moved the appointment ahead from Tuesday to Monday
- pushed the deadline ahead from Tuesday to Wednesday
adverb leading or ahead in a competition
out front; in the lead.
- the horse was three lengths ahead going into the home stretch
- ahead by two pawns
- our candidate is in the lead in the polls
- way out front in the race
- the advertising campaign put them out front in sales
In or to the front; in advance; onward.
The island bore but a little ahead of us. Fielding.
Headlong; without restraint.Obs. L'Estrange.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race The Elements of Style, Fourth Edition The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage, 2nd Edition