acting Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun the performance of a part or role in a drama
performing; playacting; playing.
verb perform an action, or work out or perform (an action)
- think before you act
- We must move quickly
- The governor should act on the new energy bill
- The nanny acted quickly by grabbing the toddler and covering him with a wet towel
verb behave in a certain manner; show a certain behavior; conduct or comport oneself
do; behave; act.
- You should act like an adult
- Don't behave like a fool
- What makes her do this way?
- The dog acts ferocious, but he is really afraid of people
verb play a role or part
represent; play; act.
- Gielgud played Hamlet
- She wants to act Lady Macbeth, but she is too young for the role
- She played the servant to her husband's master
verb discharge one's duties
- She acts as the chair
- In what capacity are you acting?
verb pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind
play; act as; act.
- He acted the idiot
- She plays deaf when the news are bad
verb be suitable for theatrical performance
- This scene acts well
verb have an effect or outcome; often the one desired or expected
- The voting process doesn't work as well as people thought
- How does your idea work in practice?
- This method doesn't work
- The breaks of my new car act quickly
- The medicine works only if you take it with a lot of water
verb be engaged in an activity, often for no particular purpose other than pleasure
verb behave unnaturally or affectedly
pretend; dissemble; act.
- She's just acting
verb perform on a stage or theater
play; playact; roleplay; act.
- She acts in this play
- He acted in `Julius Caesar'
- I played in `A Christmas Carol'
adjective satellite serving temporarily especially as a substitute
- the acting president
Operating in any way.
Doing duty for another; officiating; as, an superintendent.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living