aboriginal Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun a dark-skinned member of a race of people living in Australia when Europeans arrived
Aborigine; Australian Aborigine; native Australian; Abo.
noun an indigenous person who was born in a particular place
indigen; indigene; aborigine; native.
- the art of the natives of the northwest coast
- the Canadian government scrapped plans to tax the grants to aboriginal college students
adjective of or pertaining to members of the indigenous people of Australia
adjective characteristic of or relating to people inhabiting a region from the beginning
- native Americans
- the aboriginal peoples of Australia
adjective satellite having existed from the beginning; in an earliest or original stage or state
primaeval; primal; primordial; primeval.
- aboriginal forests
- primal eras before the appearance of life on earth
- the forest primeval
- primordial matter
- primordial forms of life
- First; original; indigenous; primitive; native; as, the aboriginal tribes of America. "Mantled o'er with aboriginal turf."
- Of or pertaining to aborigines; as, a Hindoo of aboriginal blood.
- An original inhabitant of any land; one of the aborigines.
- An animal or a plant native to the region.
It may well be doubted whether this frog is an aboriginal of these islands.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters