abandoned Meaning, Definition & Usage
verb forsake, leave behind
- We abandoned the old car in the empty parking lot
verb give up with the intent of never claiming again
abandon; give up.
- Abandon your life to God
- She gave up her children to her ex-husband when she moved to Tahiti
- We gave the drowning victim up for dead
verb leave behind empty; move out of
vacate; abandon; empty.
- You must vacate your office by tonight
verb stop maintaining or insisting on; of ideas or claims
abandon; give up.
- He abandoned the thought of asking for her hand in marriage
- Both sides have to give up some claims in these negotiations
verb leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch
abandon; desolate; desert; forsake.
- The mother deserted her children
adjective satellite forsaken by owner or inhabitants
- weed-grown yard of an abandoned farmhouse
adjective satellite free from constraint
- an abandoned sadness born of grief"- Liam O'Flaherty
Forsaken, deserted."Your abandoned streams." Thomson.
Self-abandoned, or given up to vice; extremely wicked, or sinning without restraint; irreclaimably wicked ; as, an. abandonedvillain Syn. -- Profligate; dissolute; corrupt; vicious; depraved; reprobate; wicked; unprincipled; graceless; vile.-- Abandoned, Profligate, Reprobate. These adjectives agree in expressing the idea of great personal depravity. Profligatehas reference to open and shameless immoralities, either in private life or political conduct; as, a profligatecourt, a profligateministry. Abandonedis stronger, and has reference to the searing of conscience and hardening of heart produced by a man's giving himself wholly up to iniquity; as, a man of abandonedcharacter. Reprobatedescribes the condition of one who has become insensible to reproof, and who is morally abandoned and lost beyond hope of recovery.
God gave them over to a reprobate mind. Rom. i. 28.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
Rise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars A Man Called Ove: A Novel The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers