Amazon Best Selling Books This Season
outshines: Associated Words Filter by Noun/Verb/Adjective/Adverb, Position, Positive/Negative, Common/Rare, Syllables & more. Words described by outshines & Words describing outshines
- noun a light within the field of vision that is brighter than the brightness to which the eyes are adapted
- a glare of sunlight
- noun the quality of being magnificent or splendid or grand
grandness; splendour; magnificence; grandeur; splendor.
- for magnificence and personal service there is the Queen's hotel
- his `Hamlet' lacks the brilliance that one expects
- it is the university that gives the scene its stately splendor
- an imaginative mix of old-fashioned grandeur and colorful art
- advertisers capitalize on the grandness and elegance it brings to their products
More wise, more learned, more just, more everything. Pope.
- adjective located at a great distance in time or space or degree
- we come from a far country
- far corners of the earth
- the far future
- a far journey
- the far side of the road
- far from the truth
- far in the future
- noun a terrorist organization that seeks to overthrow the government dominated by Tutsi and to institute Hutu control again
Army for the Liberation of Rwanda; Interahamwe; ALIR; Former Armed Forces.
- in 1999 ALIR guerrillas kidnapped and killed eight foreign tourists
Jolif and glad they went unto here [their] rest And casten hem [them] full early for to sail. Chaucer.
They of Italy salute you. Heb. xiii. 24.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness. Matt. v. 6.
- noun the star that is the source of light and heat for the planets in the solar system
- the sun contains 99.85% of the mass in the solar system
- the Earth revolves around the Sun
- noun the rays of the sun
- the shingles were weathered by the sun and wind
Did you ever know of anything so unlucky? A. Trollope.
They do not know that anything is amiss with them. W. G. Sumner.
- noun the amount of electromagnetic radiation leaving or arriving at a point on a surface
- noun the quality of being bright and sending out rays of light
shine; effulgence; refulgency; refulgence; radiancy.
- noun the natural satellite of the Earth
- the average distance to the Moon is 384,400 kilometers
- men first stepped on the moon in 1969
- noun any object resembling a moon
- he made a moon lamp that he used as a night light
- the clock had a moon that showed various phases
- noun the qualities that give pleasure to the senses
- noun a very attractive or seductive looking woman
sweetheart; peach; knockout; lulu; smasher; stunner; ravisher; mantrap; dish; looker.
- noun the latter part of the day (the period of decreasing daylight from late afternoon until nightfall)
eventide; evening; eve.
- he enjoyed the evening light across the lake
- verb make level or straight
even out; level; flush.
- level the ground
- noun a state of high honor
- he valued glory above life itself
- noun brilliant radiant beauty
- the glory of the sunrise
- noun excavation in the earth from which ores and minerals are extracted
- noun explosive device that explodes on contact; designed to destroy vehicles or ships or to kill or maim personnel
- noun (astronomy) a celestial body of hot gases that radiates energy derived from thermonuclear reactions in the interior
- noun someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field
mavin; champion; ace; genius; wizard; sensation; virtuoso; maven; adept; whiz; superstar; hotshot; whizz; wiz.
- adverb to an exceedingly great extent or degree
- He had vastly overestimated his resources
- was immensely more important to the project as a scientist than as an administrator
- adjective not the same one or ones already mentioned or implied
- today isn't any other day"- the White Queen
- the construction of highways and other public works
- he asked for other employment
- any other person would tell the truth
- his other books are still in storage
- then we looked at the other house
- hearing was good in his other ear
- the other sex
- she lived on the other side of the street from me
- went in the other direction
- adjective satellite recently past
- the other evening
- adverb with ease (`easy' is sometimes used informally for `easily')
- she was easily excited
- was easily confused
- he won easily
- this china breaks very easily
- success came too easy
- adverb without question
- easily the best book she's written
- adjective satellite (used with count nouns) two considered together; the two
- both girls are pretty
- noun the appearance conveyed by a person's face
- a pleasant countenance
- a stern visage
- noun formal and explicit approval
sanction; indorsement; endorsement; imprimatur; warrant.
- a Democrat usually gets the union's endorsement
- adjective a quantifier that can be used with count nouns and is often preceded by `as' or `too' or `so' or `that'; amounting to a large but indefinite number
- many temptations
- the temptations are many
- a good many
- a great many
- many directions
- take as many apples as you like
- too many clouds to see
- never saw so many people
- noun the state or quality of being widely honored and acclaimed
- noun favorable public reputation
But he himself returned from the quarries. Judges iii. 19.
David hid himself in the field. 1 Sam. xx. 24.
The Lord himself shall give you a sign. Is. vii. 14.
Who gave himself for us, that he might . . . purify unto himself a peculiar people. Titus ii. 14.
With shame remembers, while himself was one Of the same herd, himself the same had done. Denham.
It comprehendeth in himself all good. Chaucer.
- adverb to a complete degree or to the full or entire extent (`whole' is often used informally for `wholly')
all; whole; wholly; altogether; entirely; totally.
- he was wholly convinced
- entirely satisfied with the meal
- it was completely different from what we expected
- was completely at fault
- a totally new situation
- the directions were all wrong
- it was not altogether her fault
- an altogether new approach
- a whole new idea
- adverb so as to be complete; with everything necessary
- he had filled out the form completely
- the apartment was completely furnished
- adjective satellite (used of count nouns) every one considered individually
- each person is mortal
- each party is welcome
- adverb to or from every one of two or more (considered individually)
from each one; for each one; to each one; apiece.
- they received $10 each
- adverb without doubt or question
- they were clearly lost
- history has clearly shown the folly of that policy
- adverb in an intelligible manner
- the foreigner spoke to us quite intelligibly
- adjective satellite any of various alternatives; some other
- put it off to another (or some other) day
Borrowing of foreigners, in itself, makes not the kingdom rich or poor. Locke.
- noun (physics) electromagnetic radiation that can produce a visual sensation
visible light; visible radiation.
- the light was filtered through a soft glass window
- noun any device serving as a source of illumination
- he stopped the car and turned off the lights
- adverb to an extraordinary extent or degree
- he improved greatly
- noun a static photograph (especially one taken from a movie and used for advertising purposes)
- he wanted some stills for a magazine ad
- noun (poetic) tranquil silence
- the still of the night
- noun all of your experiences that determine how things appear to you
- his world was shattered
- we live in different worlds
- for them demons were as much a part of reality as trees were
- noun the state of being actual or real
- the reality of his situation slowly dawned on him
- adverb at all times; all the time and on every occasion
- I will always be there to help you
- always arrives on time
- there is always some pollution in the air
- ever hoping to strike it rich
- ever busy
- adverb without variation or change, in every case
- constantly kind and gracious
- he always arrives on time
- noun the state prevailing during the absence of war
- noun harmonious relations; freedom from disputes
- the roommates lived in peace together
- noun a state in New England; one of the original 13 colonies
MA; Old Colony; Bay State.
- noun a member of the Algonquian people who formerly lived around Massachusetts Bay
- adverb to a degree (not used with a negative)
- quite tasty
- quite soon
- quite ill
- quite rich
- adverb to the greatest extent; completely
- you're quite right
- she was quite alone
- was quite mistaken
- quite the opposite
- not quite finished
- did not quite make it
- noun the part of the face above the eyes
- noun the large cranial bone forming the front part of the cranium: includes the upper part of the orbits
frontal bone; os frontale.
- noun the momentary present
- Now is a good time to do it
- it worked up to right now
- adverb in the historical present; at this point in the narration of a series of past events
- President Kennedy now calls in the National Guard
- Washington now decides to cross the Delaware
- the ship is now listing to port
- noun a canonical hour that is the ninth hour of the day counting from sunrise
- noun a service in the Roman Catholic Church formerly read or chanted at 3 PM (the ninth hour counting from sunrise) but now somewhat earlier
- noun a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality
kind; form; variety.
- sculpture is a form of art
- what kinds of desserts are there?
- noun an approximate definition or example
- she wore a sort of magenta dress
- she served a creamy sort of dessert thing
- noun the front of the human head from the forehead to the chin and ear to ear
- he washed his face
- I wish I had seen the look on his face when he got the news
- noun the feelings expressed on a person's face
facial expression; expression; look; aspect.
- a sad expression
- a look of triumph
- an angry face
- adverb definitely or positively (`sure' is sometimes used informally for `surely')
sure; sure enough; sure as shooting; surely; for certain; for sure.
- the results are surely encouraging
- she certainly is a hard worker
- it's going to be a good day for sure
- they are coming, for certain
- they thought he had been killed sure enough
- he'll win sure as shooting
- they sure smell good
- sure he'll come
- noun everything that exists anywhere
universe; creation; macrocosm; existence; cosmos.
- they study the evolution of the universe
- the biggest tree in existence
- noun people in general; especially a distinctive group of people with some shared interest
- the Western world
- noun a strong positive emotion of regard and affection
- his love for his work
- children need a lot of love
- noun any object of warm affection or devotion;
- the theater was her first love
- he has a passion for cock fighting
- noun the immaterial part of a person; the actuating cause of an individual life
- noun a human being
someone; somebody; person; individual; mortal.
- there was too much for one person to do
- noun activity directed toward making or doing something
- she checked several points needing further work
- noun a product produced or accomplished through the effort or activity or agency of a person or thing
piece of work.
- it is not regarded as one of his more memorable works
- the symphony was hailed as an ingenious work
- he was indebted to the pioneering work of John Dewey
- the work of an active imagination
- erosion is the work of wind or water over time
- adverb on certain occasions or in certain cases but not always; at other times for six months"
- sometimes she wished she were back in England
- sometimes her photography is breathtaking
- sometimes they come for a month
- noun leniency and compassion shown toward offenders by a person or agency charged with administering justice
- he threw himself on the mercy of the court
- noun a disposition to be kind and forgiving
- in those days a wife had to depend on the mercifulness of her husband
- noun a language unit by which a person or thing is known
- his name really is George Washington
- those are two names for the same thing
- noun a person's reputation
- he wanted to protect his good name
- noun the smallest whole number or a numeral representing this number
ace; I; unity; 1; single.
- he has the one but will need a two and three to go with it
- they had lunch at one
- noun a single person or thing
- he is the best one
- this is the one I ordered
- noun a characteristic state or mode of living
- social life
- city life
- real life
- noun the experience of being alive; the course of human events and activities
- he could no longer cope with the complexities of life
- noun time for Earth to make a complete rotation on its axis
twenty-four hours; mean solar day; twenty-four hour period; solar day; 24-hour interval.
- two days later they left
- they put on two performances every day
- there are 30,000 passengers per day
- noun some point or period in time
- it should arrive any day now
- after that day she never trusted him again
- those were the days
- these days it is not unusual
- noun an adult person who is male (as opposed to a woman)
- there were two women and six men on the bus
- noun someone who serves in the armed forces; a member of a military force
military man; serviceman; military personnel.
- two men stood sentry duty
- noun a great amount or extent
- they did much for humanity
- adjective (quantifier used with mass nouns) great in quantity or degree or extent
- not much rain
- much affection
- much grain is in storage
- noun a point located with respect to surface features of some region
topographic point; place.
- this is a nice place for a picnic
- a bright spot on a planet
- noun a short section or illustration (as between radio or tv programs or in a magazine) that is often used for advertising
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
How can we make the selection of words better for you?
Words are expressive, emotive, nuanced, subtle, erudite and discerning!
Unfortunately words are sometimes also elusive, deceptive, fleeting in memory.
Through months of bittersweet labor, we finally have assembled words together by context. A novel way to search for new and elusive words. Hope they help you!Are we in the right direction? Are your needs fulfilled? If so how? Is there anything we can do or do better? Please let us know in the feedback form!