harkens: Associated Words Filter by Noun/Verb/Adjective/Adverb, Position, Positive/Negative, Common/Rare, Syllables & more. Words described by harkens & Words describing harkens
- noun ideas or actions intended to deal with a problem or situation
plan of attack; attack.
- his approach to every problem is to draw up a list of pros and cons
- an attack on inflation
- his plan of attack was misguided
- noun the act of drawing spatially closer to something
- the hunter's approach scattered the geese
- noun the posterior part of a human (or animal) body from the neck to the end of the spine
- his back was nicely tanned
- noun the side that goes last or is not normally seen
- he wrote the date on the back of the photograph
- adverb in actual fact
- to be nominally but not actually independent
- no one actually saw the shark
- large meteorites actually come from the asteroid belt
- adverb used to imply that one would expect the fact to be the opposite of that stated; surprisingly
- you may actually be doing the right thing by walking out
- she actually spoke Latin
- they thought they made the rules but in reality they were only puppets
- people who seem stand-offish are in reality often simply nervous
- adverb without doubt or question
- they were clearly lost
- history has clearly shown the folly of that policy
- adverb in an intelligible manner
- the foreigner spoke to us quite intelligibly
- noun how something is done or how it happens
fashion; manner; way; mode.
- her dignified manner
- his rapid manner of talking
- their nomadic mode of existence
- in the characteristic New York style
- a lonely way of life
- in an abrasive fashion
- noun a way of expressing something (in language or art or music etc.) that is characteristic of a particular person or group of people or period
- all the reporters were expected to adopt the style of the newspaper
- noun a change of position that does not entail a change of location
motion; move; motility.
- the reflex motion of his eyebrows revealed his surprise
- movement is a sign of life
- an impatient move of his hand
- gastrointestinal motility
- noun the act of changing location from one place to another
- police controlled the motion of the crowd
- the movement of people from the farms to the cities
- his move put him directly in my path
- noun the content of cognition; the main thing you are thinking about
- it was not a good idea
- the thought never entered my mind
- noun your intention; what you intend to do
- he had in mind to see his old teacher
- the idea of the game is to capture all the pieces
- adverb anew
once more; once again; over again.
- she tried again
- they rehearsed the scene again
Borrowing of foreigners, in itself, makes not the kingdom rich or poor. Locke.
- noun a language unit by which a person or thing is known
- his name really is George Washington
- those are two names for the same thing
- noun a person's reputation
- he wanted to protect his good name
- noun a static photograph (especially one taken from a movie and used for advertising purposes)
- he wanted some stills for a magazine ad
- noun (poetic) tranquil silence
- the still of the night
- noun an aromatic gum resin obtained from various Arabian or East African trees; formerly valued for worship and for embalming and fumigation
frankincense; gum olibanum; olibanum.
- adverb (used to introduce a logical conclusion) from that fact or reason or as a result
hence; so; therefore; thence.
- therefore X must be true
- the eggs were fresh and hence satisfactory
- we were young and thence optimistic
- it is late and thus we must go
- the witness is biased and so cannot be trusted
- noun the present location; this place
- where do we go from here?
- noun queen of the Olympian gods in ancient Greek mythology; sister and wife of Zeus remembered for her jealously of the many mortal women Zeus fell in love with; identified with Roman Juno
- noun a way of regarding situations or topics etc.
- consider what follows from the positivist view
- noun the visual percept of a region
prospect; vista; panorama; scene; aspect.
- the most desirable feature of the park are the beautiful views
- noun activity directed toward making or doing something
- she checked several points needing further work
- noun a product produced or accomplished through the effort or activity or agency of a person or thing
piece of work.
- it is not regarded as one of his more memorable works
- the symphony was hailed as an ingenious work
- he was indebted to the pioneering work of John Dewey
- the work of an active imagination
- erosion is the work of wind or water over time
- noun any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force
deity; divinity; immortal.
- noun the supernatural being conceived as the perfect and omnipotent and omniscient originator and ruler of the universe; the object of worship in monotheistic religions
- noun the smallest whole number or a numeral representing this number
ace; I; unity; 1; single.
- he has the one but will need a two and three to go with it
- they had lunch at one
- noun a single person or thing
- he is the best one
- this is the one I ordered
- noun the first or highest in an ordering or series
- He wanted to be the first
- noun the first element in a countable series
number 1; number one.
- the first of the month
How can we make the selection of words better for you?
Words are expressive, emotive, nuanced, subtle, erudite and discerning!
Unfortunately words are sometimes also elusive, deceptive, fleeting in memory.
Through months of bittersweet labor, we finally have assembled words together by context. A novel way to search for new and elusive words. Hope they help you!Are we in the right direction? Are your needs fulfilled? If so how? Is there anything we can do or do better? Please let us know in the feedback form!