grows: Associated Words Filter by Noun/Verb/Adjective/Adverb, Position, Positive/Negative, Common/Rare, Syllables & more. Words described by grows & Words describing grows
- noun a person who swindles you by means of deception or fraud
gouger; chiseller; chiseler; defrauder; swindler; scammer.
- noun low-growing plant found only in volcanic craters on Hawaii having rosettes of narrow pointed silver-green leaves and clusters of profuse red-purple flowers on a tall stem
- adjective satellite very lively and profitable
booming; prosperous; palmy; prospering; roaring; flourishing.
- flourishing businesses
- a palmy time for stockbrokers
- a prosperous new business
- doing a roaring trade
- a thriving tourist center
- did a thriving business in orchids
- verb grow vigorously
expand; flourish; boom; thrive.
- The deer population in this town is thriving
- business is booming
- noun handsome tree of central and eastern North America having large bipinnate leaves and green-white flowers followed by large woody brown pods whose seeds are used as a coffee substitute
Kentucky coffee tree; chicot; Gymnocladus dioica.
- noun tropical tree with large prickly pods of seeds that resemble beans and are used for jewelry and rosaries
Caesalpinia bonduc; bonduc tree; Caesalpinia bonducella.
- adjective satellite seemingly boundless in amount, number, degree, or especially extent
- unbounded enthusiasm
- children with boundless energy
- a limitless supply of money
- noun tree of southeastern Asia having edible oval fruit with a hard spiny rind
durian tree; durian; Durio zibethinus.
- adjective satellite (used especially of glances) directed to one side with or as if with doubt or suspicion or envy
askance; sidelong; asquint; squinty; squint; squint-eyed.
- her eyes with their misted askance look"- Elizabeth Bowen
- sidelong glances
- verb take the burden off; remove the burden from
- unburden the donkey
saprophyticallySorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun North American annual plant with usually yellow or orange flowers; grows chiefly on wet rather acid soil
touch-me-not; celandine; lady's earrings; orange balsam; Impatiens capensis.
- adjective satellite shaped like a cube
cube-shaped; cuboidal; cuboid; cubelike; cubiform.
- noun a trap for catching flies
- noun a row or line of people (especially soldiers or police) standing abreast of one another
- the entrance was guarded by ranks of policemen
- noun relative status
- his salary was determined by his rank and seniority
- noun any of several perennial grasses of the genus Spartina; some important as coastal soil binders
- adverb in a gregarious manner
pollyannaSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- adverb in an uncontrolled and rampant manner
- weeds grew rampantly around here
- noun any of the threadlike filaments forming the mycelium of a fungus
- adverb in an abundant and luxuriant manner
- whiskers grew luxuriantly from his ample jowls
- adverb in an elegantly luxuriant way
- this suave, culture-loving and luxuriantly good-looking M.P.represents the car-workers of Coventry
- noun an evergreen shrub of the Mediterranean region that is cultivated for its resin
mastic; Pistacia lentiscus; mastic tree.
- adjective satellite impressive by reason of age
- a venerable sage with white hair and beard
- adjective satellite profoundly honored
- revered holy men
- noun fleshy maritime plant having fleshy stems with rudimentary scalelike leaves and small spikes of minute flowers; formerly used in making glass
Salicornia europaea; glasswort.
- noun tall North American perennial with creeping rootstocks and narrow leaves and spikes of pinkish-purple flowers occurring in great abundance in burned-over areas or recent clearings; an important honey plant
giant willowherb; wickup; rosebay willowherb; Epilobium angustifolium.
- noun an American weedy plant with small white or greenish flowers
- adjective satellite having an oblique or slanted direction
aslope; diagonal; sloped; slanted; slanting; sloping.
- adverb over or across in a slanting direction
- noun down feather of young birds; persists in some adult birds
- adverb in an exponential manner
- inflation is growing exponentially
- noun any of various plants of the genus Rudbeckia cultivated for their large usually yellow daisies with prominent central cones
- noun a wildflower of the genus Ratibida
- adverb in a logarithmic manner
- data plotted logarithmically with respect to time is shown in Figure 2
- noun fast-growing vine from eastern Asia having tuberous starchy roots and hairy trifoliate leaves and racemes of purple flowers followed by long hairy pods containing many seeds; grown for fodder and forage and root starch; widespread in the southern United States
Pueraria lobata; kudzu vine.
- adverb in a parasitic manner
- noun any of various grasses of many genera that grow in tufts or clumps rather than forming a sod or mat; chiefly of western United States
- adjective resembling or expressed by parables
- adjective satellite having the form of a parabola
- noun small pellet of ice that falls during a hailstorm
- adjective satellite according with custom or propriety
comme il faut; decent; becoming; seemly; decorous.
- her becoming modesty
- comely behavior
- it is not comme il faut for a gentleman to be constantly asking for money
- a decent burial
- seemly behavior
- adjective satellite very pleasing to the eye
sightly; bonnie; fair; bonny.
- my bonny lass
- there's a bonny bay beyond
- a comely face
- young fair maidens
- noun southern European plant having spiny leaves and purple flowers cultivated for its edible leafstalks and roots
- noun only parts eaten are roots and especially stalks (blanched and used as celery); related to artichokes
- adjective satellite abounding in rocks or stones
bouldery; stony; bouldered.
- rocky fields
- stony ground
- bouldery beaches
- adjective causing or characterized by jolts and irregular movements
jumpy; jolty; jolting; bumpy; rough.
- a rough ride
- noun submerged marine plant with very long narrow leaves found in abundance along North Atlantic coasts
grass wrack; Zostera marina; sea wrack.
- noun submerged aquatic plant with ribbonlike leaves; Old World and Australia
Vallisneria spiralis; tape grass; wild celery.
- adjective of or relating to interstices
- noun the vegetative part of a fungus consisting of a mass of branching threadlike hyphae
- adverb in a worldly manner
- terrestrially changeable
- adverb to a land environment
- terrestrially adapted
- noun the spore-producing individual or phase in the life cycle of a plant having alternation of generations
- adjective satellite vigorously passionate
- adjective satellite endowed with or exhibiting great bodily or mental health
hearty; red-blooded; full-blooded.
- a hearty glow of health
- noun genus of chiefly tropical vines often placed in genera Dipogon or Lablab or Macrotyloma
- adjective lacking stability or fixity or firmness
- unstable political conditions
- the tower proved to be unstable in the high wind
- an unstable world economy
- adjective satellite highly or violently reactive
- sensitive and highly unstable compounds
- noun tufted evergreen perennial herb having spikes of tiny white flowers and glossy green round to heart-shaped leaves that become coppery to maroon or purplish in fall
Galax urceolata; wandflower; galax; beetleweed; galaxy.
- noun perennial herb with large rounded leaves resembling a colt's foot and yellow flowers appearing before the leaves do; native to Europe but now nearly cosmopolitan; used medicinally especially formerly
- noun a rheostat that varies the current through an electric light in order to control the level of illumination
- adjective satellite lacking in light; not bright or harsh
- a dim light beside the bed
- subdued lights and soft music
- noun the nail at the end of a toe
- verb drive obliquely
- toe a nail
- adverb with rapid movements
chop-chop; speedily; rapidly; quickly.
- he works quickly
- noun any of numerous herbs and subshrubs of the genus Lythrum
- noun any of various herbs and subshrubs of the genus Lysimachia
aerobicallySorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun a sporozoan in the active feeding stage of its life cycle
- adjective satellite (of liquids) clouded as with sediment
muddy; turbid; mirky; cloudy.
- a cloudy liquid
- muddy coffee
- murky waters
- adjective satellite dark or gloomy
- a murky dungeon
- murky rooms lit by smoke-blackened lamps
- adjective tending to move toward a center
- centripetal force
- adjective satellite tending to unify
- noun sometimes placed in genus Scilla
bluebell; wild hyacinth; Hyacinthoides nonscripta; Scilla nonscripta; wood hyacinth.
- noun perennial of northern hemisphere with slender stems and bell-shaped blue flowers
Campanula rotundifolia; bluebell.
- adjective of or relating to logistics
- logistic requirements
- noun any of various northern temperate plants of the genus Sedum having fleshy leaves and red or yellow or white flowers
- noun a person who drinks alcohol to excess habitually
souse; alcoholic; alky; boozer; dipsomaniac; soaker.
- adjective satellite produced or growing in extreme abundance
luxuriant; profuse; riotous; exuberant.
- their riotous blooming
- noun the vascular fetal membrane that lies below the chorion and develops from the hindgut in many embryonic higher vertebrates (reptiles, birds and mammals)
- adjective satellite directed toward heaven or the sky
- the soul in its heavenward flight
- adverb toward the sky
- look skywards!
- noun extremely large treelike cactus of desert regions of southwestern United States having a thick columnar sparsely branched trunk bearing white flowers and edible red pulpy fruit
sahuaro; Carnegiea gigantea.
- adverb with respect to arithmetic
- this problem is arithmetically easy
- noun (Greek mythology) a king who created a statue of a woman and fell in love with it; Aphrodite brought the sculpture to life as Galatea
- noun large genus of subshrubs or herbs having showy blue or purple or red or yellow or white flowers; mostly western North America
- noun a grammatical category of verbs used to express distinctions of time
- verb become stretched or tense or taut
- the bodybuilder's neck muscles tensed
- "the rope strained when the weight was attached
- noun any of various North American trees or shrubs having showy white flowers and edible blue-black or purplish fruit
service tree; Juneberry; shadblow; shadbush.
- noun edible purple or red berries
juneberry; shadberry; saskatoon.
- adjective of or relating to the cranium which encloses the brain
- cranial pressure
- adjective displeasing to the senses
- an ugly face
- ugly furniture
- adjective satellite inclined to anger or bad feelings with overtones of menace
- a surly waiter
- an ugly frame of mind
- adjective satellite deep and harsh sounding as if from shouting or illness or emotion
- gruff voices
- the dog's gruff barking
- hoarse cries
- makes all the instruments sound powerful but husky"- Virgil Thomson
- noun alpine perennial plant native to Europe having leaves covered with whitish down and small flower heads held in stars of glistening whitish bracts
- noun a narrow channel of the sea joining two larger bodies of water
- noun a bad or difficult situation or state of affairs
- noun a larval frog or toad
- adverb toward the posterior end of the body
- noun (botany) main root of a plant growing straight downward from the stem
- noun something that provides an important central source for growth or development
- the taproot of his resentment
- genius and insanity spring from the same taproot
- adverb in a linear manner
- linearly polarized radiation
- it grew linearly
- noun wood of a sumac
- noun a shrub or tree of the genus Rhus (usually limited to the non-poisonous members of the genus)
- noun a spontaneous loss of consciousness caused by insufficient blood to the brain
swoon; deliquium; syncope.
- verb pass out from weakness, physical or emotional distress due to a loss of blood supply to the brain
swoon; pass out; conk.
- noun a cylinder of calcium carbonate projecting upward from the floor of a limestone cave
- adverb in a bountiful manner
plenteously; bounteously; bountifully.
- noun an organ in its earliest stage of development; the foundation for subsequent development
anaerobicallySorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun a Japanese (paper or silk) wall hanging; usually narrow with a picture or writing on it and a roller at the bottom
- adverb suddenly and rapidly
- the population in Central America is growing explosively
- adverb in an explosive manner
- the political situation in Kashmir and Jammu is explosively unstable
- noun any of various plants of the genus Verbascum having large usually woolly leaves and terminal spikes of yellow or white or purplish flowers
flannel leaf; velvet plant.
- noun very hot and finely tapering pepper of special pungency
chilli; chili; chile; chili pepper.
- adjective satellite not characterized by emotion
- a female form in marble--a chilly but ideal medium for depicting abstract virtues"-C.W.Cunningham
- noun any of various aromatic herbs of the genus Marrubium
- noun a candy that is flavored with an extract of the horehound plant
- adverb as an important constituent
- the drapery served organically to cover the Madonna
- adverb involving carbon compounds
- organically bound iodine
- noun plant that derives moisture and nutrients from the air and rain; usually grows on another plant but not parasitic on it
aerophyte; epiphytic plant; air plant.
- noun an act that violates the rules of a sport
- verb hit a foul ball
- noun any of numerous flowerless and seedless vascular plants having true roots from a rhizome and fronds that uncurl upward; reproduce by spores
- noun a container that has been emptied
- return all empties to the store
- verb make void or empty of contents
- Empty the box
- The alarm emptied the building
- noun (genetics) the diploid cell resulting from the union of a haploid spermatozoon and ovum (including the organism that develops from that cell)
- adverb with respect to geometry
- this shape is geometrically interesting
- adverb in a geometric fashion
- it grew geometrically
- noun perennial of the genus Phytolacca
- noun a soft greasy substance occurring in organic tissue and consisting of a mixture of lipids (mostly triglycerides)
- pizza has too much fat
- noun a kind of body tissue containing stored fat that serves as a source of energy; it also cushions and insulates vital organs
fatty tissue; adipose tissue.
- fatty tissue protected them from the severe cold
- noun an organism of the kingdom Fungi lacking chlorophyll and feeding on organic matter; ranging from unicellular or multicellular organisms to spore-bearing syncytia
- adjective satellite physically and mentally fatigued
- `aweary' is archaic
- noun a plant of the family Portulacaceae having fleshy succulent obovate leaves often grown as a potherb or salad herb; a weed in some areas
- adjective morally bad in principle or practice
- adjective satellite having committed unrighteous acts
- a sinful person
lepraeSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- adjective satellite beyond or deviating from the usual or expected
funny; rum; singular; queer; odd; peculiar; rummy.
- a curious hybrid accent
- her speech has a funny twang
- they have some funny ideas about war
- had an odd name
- the peculiar aromatic odor of cloves
- something definitely queer about this town
- what a rum fellow
- singular behavior
- adjective eager to investigate and learn or learn more (sometimes about others' concerns)
- a curious child is a teacher's delight
- a trap door that made me curious
- curious investigators
- traffic was slowed by curious rubberneckers
- curious about the neighbor's doings
- noun American plants closely resembling Old World mistletoe
- noun Old World parasitic shrub having branching greenish stems with leathery leaves and waxy white glutinous berries; the traditional mistletoe of Christmas
Old World mistletoe; Viscum album.
- adjective satellite increasing gradually by regular degrees or additions
- lecturers enjoy...steady incremental growth in salary
- noun any of several water-loving cresses
- noun cresses that grow in clear ponds and streams
- adjective satellite pathetically lacking in force or effectiveness
- a feeble excuse
- a lame argument
- adjective satellite lacking strength or vigor
- damning with faint praise
- faint resistance
- feeble efforts
- a feeble voice
- noun any of several evergreen shrubs of the genus Arbutus of temperate Europe and America
- verb utter a shrill cry
pipe; pipe up; shriek.
- adjective satellite having or emitting a high-pitched and sharp tone or tones
- a shrill whistle
- a shrill gaiety
- noun perennial herbs of Europe and Iran; make rapidly growing groundcover for shaded areas
- noun leaves make a popular tisane; young leaves used in salads or cooked
- adjective feeling hunger; feeling a need or desire to eat food
- a world full of hungry people
- adjective satellite (usually followed by `for') extremely desirous
- athirst for knowledge
- hungry for recognition
- thirsty for informaton
- noun a young plant or a small plant
- adverb in an indigenous manner
- noun a plant of the genus Sanicula having palmately compound leaves and unisexual flowers in panicled umbels followed by bristly fruit; reputed to have healing powers
- noun any of various North American plants of the genus Liatris having racemes or panicles of small discoid flower heads
blazing star; button snakeroot; gayfeather; gay-feather.
- verb exhaust or get tired through overuse or great strain or stress
wear out; tire; wear down; jade; fag out; fatigue; wear; tire out; outwear; fag; wear upon.
- We wore ourselves out on this hike
- verb lose interest or become bored with something or somebody
jade; fatigue; pall; tire.
- I'm so tired of your mother and her complaints about my food
- noun a low woody perennial plant usually having several major stems
- adjective characterized by or producing sound of great volume or intensity
- a group of loud children
- loud thunder
- her voice was too loud
- loud trombones
- adjective satellite tastelessly showy
garish; gaudy; brassy; meretricious; tatty; tawdry; flash; cheap; flashy; tacky; gimcrack; trashy.
- a flash car
- a flashy ring
- garish colors
- a gaudy costume
- loud sport shirts
- a meretricious yet stylish book
- tawdry ornaments
- noun a serious (sometimes fatal) infection of rodents caused by Yersinia pestis and accidentally transmitted to humans by the bite of a flea that has bitten an infected animal
pestilence; plague; pest.
- adjective deficient in quantity or number compared with the demand
- fresh vegetables were scarce during the drought
- adverb only a very short time before
scarcely; barely; hardly; just.
- they could barely hear the speaker
- we hardly knew them
- just missed being hit
- had scarcely rung the bell when the door flew open
- would have scarce arrived before she would have found some excuse to leave"- W.B.Yeats
How can we make the selection of words better for you?
Words are expressive, emotive, nuanced, subtle, erudite and discerning!
Unfortunately words are sometimes also elusive, deceptive, fleeting in memory.
Through months of bittersweet labor, we finally have assembled words together by context. A novel way to search for new and elusive words. Hope they help you!Are we in the right direction? Are your needs fulfilled? If so how? Is there anything we can do or do better? Please let us know in the feedback form!