Amazon Best Selling Books This Season
dirtying: Associated Words Filter by Noun/Verb/Adjective/Adverb, Position, Positive/Negative, Common/Rare, Syllables & more. Words described by dirtying & Words describing dirtying
- verb stay clear from; keep away from; keep out of the way of someone or something
- Her former friends now avoid her
- verb prevent the occurrence of; prevent from happening
stave off; avert; debar; deflect; obviate; head off; forefend; fend off; ward off; forfend.
- Let's avoid a confrontation
- head off a confrontation
- avert a strike
One's self (or more properly oneself), is quite a modern form. In Elizabethan English we find a man's self=one's self. Morris.
Without the gate Some drive the cars, and some the coursers rein. Dryden.
- noun a piece of dishware normally used as a container for holding or serving food
- we gave them a set of dishes for a wedding present
- noun a particular item of prepared food
- she prepared a special dish for dinner
- noun an indefinite quantity of something having a specified value
- 10 dollars worth of gasoline
- noun the quality that renders something desirable or valuable or useful
- adverb with intention; in an intentional manner
designedly; advisedly; on purpose; by choice; intentionally; by design; purposely.
- he used that word intentionally
- I did this by choice
- adverb in a deliberate unhurried manner
- she was working deliberately
- noun a source of danger; a possibility of incurring loss or misfortune
endangerment; jeopardy; peril; hazard.
- drinking alcohol is a health hazard
- noun a venture undertaken without regard to possible loss or injury
- he saw the rewards but not the risks of crime
- there was a danger he would do the wrong thing
But he himself returned from the quarries. Judges iii. 19.
David hid himself in the field. 1 Sam. xx. 24.
The Lord himself shall give you a sign. Is. vii. 14.
Who gave himself for us, that he might . . . purify unto himself a peculiar people. Titus ii. 14.
With shame remembers, while himself was one Of the same herd, himself the same had done. Denham.
It comprehendeth in himself all good. Chaucer.
- noun that which is responsible for one's thoughts and feelings; the seat of the faculty of reason
psyche; brain; head; nous.
- his mind wandered
- I couldn't get his words out of my head
- noun recall or remembrance
- it came to mind
- noun the smallest whole number or a numeral representing this number
ace; I; unity; 1; single.
- he has the one but will need a two and three to go with it
- they had lunch at one
- noun a single person or thing
- he is the best one
- this is the one I ordered
- verb keep from happening or arising; make impossible
forbid; preclude; foreclose; forestall.
- My sense of tact forbids an honest answer
- Your role in the projects precludes your involvement in the competitive project
- verb stop (someone or something) from doing something or being in a certain state
- We must prevent the cancer from spreading
- His snoring kept me from falling asleep
- Keep the child from eating the marbles
- adverb not ever; at no time in the past or future
- I have never been to China
- I shall never forget this day
- had never seen a circus
- never on Sunday
- I will never marry you!
- adverb not at all; certainly not; not in any circumstances
- never fear
- bringing up children is never easy
- that will never do
- what is morally wrong can never be politically right
More wise, more learned, more just, more everything. Pope.
- noun the latter part of the day (the period of decreasing daylight from late afternoon until nightfall)
eventide; evening; eve.
- he enjoyed the evening light across the lake
- verb make level or straight
even out; level; flush.
- level the ground
- noun clothing in general
apparel; dress; wearing apparel.
- she was refined in her choice of apparel
- he always bought his clothes at the same store
- fastidious about his dress
- verb provide with clothes or put clothes on
enclothe; garment; fit out; garb; raiment; apparel; habilitate; dress; tog; clothe.
- Parents must feed and dress their child
- noun an aromatic gum resin obtained from various Arabian or East African trees; formerly valued for worship and for embalming and fumigation
frankincense; gum olibanum; olibanum.
- adverb (used to introduce a logical conclusion) from that fact or reason or as a result
hence; so; therefore; thence.
- therefore X must be true
- the eggs were fresh and hence satisfactory
- we were young and thence optimistic
- it is late and thus we must go
- the witness is biased and so cannot be trusted
Of which right now ye han yourselve heard. Chaucer.
If yourselves are old, make it your cause. Shak.
Why should you be so cruel to yourself ? Milton.
The religious movement which you yourself, as well as I, so faithfully followed from first to last. J. H. Newman.
- adverb at all times; all the time and on every occasion
- I will always be there to help you
- always arrives on time
- there is always some pollution in the air
- ever hoping to strike it rich
- ever busy
- adverb without variation or change, in every case
- constantly kind and gracious
- he always arrives on time
- noun any movable possession (especially articles of clothing)
- she packed her things and left
- noun a special situation
- this thing has got to end
- it is a remarkable thing
- noun how a result is obtained or an end is achieved
- a means of control
- an example is the best agency of instruction
- the true way to success
- noun an instrumentality for accomplishing some end
Borrowing of foreigners, in itself, makes not the kingdom rich or poor. Locke.
- adjective satellite any of various alternatives; some other
- put it off to another (or some other) day
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
How can we make the selection of words better for you?
Words are expressive, emotive, nuanced, subtle, erudite and discerning!
Unfortunately words are sometimes also elusive, deceptive, fleeting in memory.
Through months of bittersweet labor, we finally have assembled words together by context. A novel way to search for new and elusive words. Hope they help you!Are we in the right direction? Are your needs fulfilled? If so how? Is there anything we can do or do better? Please let us know in the feedback form!