overstrike : Related Words Words similar in meaning to overstrike
- many font renderers
- actual bold font
- horizontal offset
- regular font
- modern printer
- apl programming language
- normal character
- circumflex accent
- ascii code
- double quote
- related character
- bold character
- wide adoption
- grave accent
- utf - 8
- acute accent
- writing system
- computer program
- noun (computer science) a sequence of instructions that a computer can interpret and execute
computer programme; program; programme.
- the program required several hundred lines of code
- noun a set of rules or principles or laws (especially written ones)
- noun a coding system used for transmitting messages requiring brevity or secrecy
aplSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun a mark added to a letter to indicate a special pronunciation
- adjective satellite capable of distinguishing
- students having superior diacritic powers
- the diacritic elements in culture"- S.F.Nadel
- noun an imaginary person represented in a work of fiction (play or film or story)
fictional character; fictitious character.
- she is the main character in the novel
- noun a characteristic property that defines the apparent individual nature of something
- each town has a quality all its own
- the radical character of our demands
- noun a contemporary person
- noun a typeface (based on an 18th century design by Gianbattista Bodoni) distinguished by regular shape and hairline serifs and heavy downstrokes
Bodoni font; modern font; Bodoni.
- noun a diacritical mark (^) placed above a vowel in some languages to indicate a special phonetic quality
- noun someone whose occupation is printing
- noun (computer science) an output device that prints the results of data processing
- noun a punctuation mark (,) used to indicate the separation of elements within the grammatical structure of a sentence
- noun anglewing butterfly with a comma-shaped mark on the underside of each hind wing
comma butterfly; Polygonia comma.
unicodeSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun a diacritical mark (~) placed over the letter n in Spanish to indicate a palatal nasal sound or over a vowel in Portuguese to indicate nasalization
- noun an orderly arrangement
- an array of troops in battle order
- noun an impressive display
- it was a bewildering array of books
- his tools were in an orderly array on the basement wall
- noun a specific size and style of type within a type family
case; fount; face; typeface.
- noun bowl for baptismal water
baptistry; baptistery; baptismal font.
overtypeSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun the physical magnitude of something (how big it is)
- a wolf is about the size of a large dog
- noun the property resulting from being one of a series of graduated measurements (as of clothing)
- he wears a size 13 shoe
- noun a mark (') placed above a vowel to indicate pronunciation
- verb place on top of
lay over; superpose.
- can you superimpose the two images?
- noun instrumentality that combines interrelated interacting artifacts designed to work as a coherent entity
- he bought a new stereo system
- the system consists of a motor and a small computer
- noun a group of independent but interrelated elements comprising a unified whole
- a vast system of production and distribution and consumption keep the country going
- noun the unlimited expanse in which everything is located
- they tested his ability to locate objects in space
- the boundless regions of the infinite
- noun an empty area (usually bounded in some way between things)
- the architect left space in front of the building
- they stopped at an open space in the jungle
- the space between his teeth
- noun a practical method or art applied to some particular task
- noun skillfulness in the command of fundamentals deriving from practice and familiarity
- practice greatly improves proficiency
- noun distinctive manner of oral expression
- he couldn't suppress his contemptuous accent
- she had a very clear speech pattern
- noun special importance or significance
- the red light gave the central figure increased emphasis
- the room was decorated in shades of grey with distinctive red accents
- noun a prominent attribute or aspect of something
- the map showed roads and other features
- generosity is one of his best characteristics
- noun the characteristic parts of a person's face: eyes and nose and mouth and chin
- an expression of pleasure crossed his features
- his lineaments were very regular
- noun the act of creating written works
authorship; penning; composition.
- writing was a form of therapy for him
- it was a matter of disputed authorship
- noun the work of a writer; anything expressed in letters of the alphabet (especially when considered from the point of view of style and effect)
written material; piece of writing.
- the writing in her novels is excellent
- that editorial was a fine piece of writing
- noun station where transport vehicles load or unload passengers or goods
- noun a contact on an electrical device (such as a battery) at which electric current enters or leaves
- noun a diacritical mark (two dots) placed over a vowel in German to indicate a change in sound
- noun a series of steps to be carried out or goals to be accomplished
- they drew up a six-step plan
- they discussed plans for a new bond issue
- noun a system of projects or services intended to meet a public need
- he proposed an elaborate program of public works
- working mothers rely on the day care program
- noun the typewriter key used for back spacing
backspace key; backspacer.
- verb hit the backspace key on a computer or typewriter keyboard
- To erase, you must backspace
- adjective having great (or a certain) extent from one side to the other
- wide roads
- a wide necktie
- wide margins
- three feet wide
- a river two miles broad
- broad shoulders
- a broad river
- adjective satellite broad in scope or content
across-the-board; broad; blanket; all-encompassing; encompassing; all-inclusive; all-embracing; extensive; panoptic.
- across-the-board pay increases
- an all-embracing definition
- blanket sanctions against human-rights violators
- an invention with broad applications
- a panoptic study of Soviet nationality"- T.G.Winner
- granted him wide powers
- noun a group's refusal to work in protest against low pay or bad work conditions
- the strike lasted more than a month before it was settled
- noun an attack that is intended to seize or inflict damage on or destroy an objective
- the strike was scheduled to begin at dawn
- noun the cardinal number that is the sum of seven and one
ogdoad; octet; octad; eight; VIII; eighter; eighter from Decatur; octonary.
- adjective satellite being one more than seven
- noun a way of doing something, especially a systematic way; implies an orderly logical arrangement (usually in steps)
- noun an acting technique introduced by Stanislavsky in which the actor recalls emotions or reactions from his or her own life and uses them to identify with the character being portrayed
- noun hand-operated character printer for printing written messages one character at a time
- noun (mathematics) a mathematical relation such that each element of a given set (the domain of the function) is associated with an element of another set (the range of the function)
single-valued function; mathematical function; mapping; map.
- noun what something is used for
use; role; purpose.
- the function of an auger is to bore holes
- ballet is beautiful but what use is it?
- noun the distinctive form in which a thing is made
mould; cast; mold.
- pottery of this cast was found throughout the region
- noun a type or class
- more men of his stamp are needed
- noun a typeface with thick heavy lines
bold face; boldface.
- adjective fearless and daring
- bold settlers on some foreign shore
- a bold speech
- a bold adventure
- noun something regarded as a normative example
formula; pattern; rule; convention.
- the convention of not naming the main character
- violence is the rule not the exception
- his formula for impressing visitors
- adjective conforming with or constituting a norm or standard or level or type or social norm; not abnormal
- serve wine at normal room temperature
- normal diplomatic relations
- normal working hours
- normal word order
- normal curiosity
- the normal course of events
- noun a punctuation mark used to attribute the enclosed text to someone else
quotation mark; inverted comma.
- noun a passage or expression that is quoted or cited
- noun the act of accepting with approval; favorable reception
espousal; acceptation; acceptance.
- its adoption by society
- the proposal found wide acceptance
- noun a legal proceeding that creates a parent-child relation between persons not related by blood; the adopted child is entitled to all privileges belonging to a natural child of the adoptive parents (including the right to inherit)
- noun a method of representing the sounds of a language by written or printed symbols
- verb fail by aiming too high or trying too hard
- verb beat through cleverness and wit
outsmart; beat; outwit; outfox; circumvent.
- I beat the traffic
- She outfoxed her competitors
- noun a regular patron
- an habitue of the racetrack
- a bum who is a Central Park fixture
- noun a soldier in the regular army
- noun a written message addressed to a person or organization
- mailed an indignant letter to the editor
- noun the conventional characters of the alphabet used to represent speech
alphabetic character; letter of the alphabet.
- his grandmother taught him his letters
- noun the time at which something is supposed to begin
outset; get-go; showtime; starting time; kickoff; start; beginning; commencement; first.
- they got an early start
- she knew from the get-go that he was the man for her
- noun a compensating equivalent
- adjective presently existing in fact and not merely potential or possible
- the predicted temperature and the actual temperature were markedly different
- actual and imagined conditions
- adjective satellite taking place in reality; not pretended or imitated
- we saw the actual wedding on television
- filmed the actual beating
- noun something that is oriented horizontally
- adjective parallel to or in the plane of the horizon or a base line
- a horizontal surface
- noun a flat metal piece (usually a disc) used as money
- verb make up
- coin phrases or words
- noun a diacritical mark (,) placed below the letter c to indicate that it is pronounced as an s
- noun death of a person
- he went to his grave without forgiving me
- from cradle to grave
- noun a place for the burial of a corpse (especially beneath the ground and marked by a tombstone)
- he put flowers on his mother's grave
- noun a mark (') placed above a vowel to indicate pronunciation
ague; acute accent.
- adjective having or experiencing a rapid onset and short but severe course
- acute appendicitis
- the acute phase of the illness
- acute patients
utfSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
ibmSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun a systematic means of communicating by the use of sounds or conventional symbols
- he taught foreign languages
- the language introduced is standard throughout the text
- the speed with which a program can be executed depends on the language in which it is written
- noun (language) communication by word of mouth
oral communication; spoken language; voice communication; speech communication; speech; spoken communication.
- his speech was garbled
- he uttered harsh language
- he recorded the spoken language of the streets
- noun a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base
two-base hit; two-baser; two-bagger.
- he hit a double to deep centerfield
- noun a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts
stunt man; stunt woman.
- his first job in Hollywood was as a double for Clark Gable
- noun setting an order and time for planned events
- noun creating a sequence of instructions to enable the computer to do something
computer programing; computer programming; programing.
- noun the craft of composing type and printing from it
- noun art and technique of printing with movable type
- noun an abstract part of something
ingredient; constituent; factor; component.
- jealousy was a component of his character
- two constituents of a musical composition are melody and harmony
- the grammatical elements of a sentence
- a key factor in her success
- humor: an effective ingredient of a speech
- noun an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system
- spare components for cars
- a component or constituent element of a system
- noun a mark (`) placed above a vowel to indicate pronunciation
- noun a machine for performing calculations automatically
data processor; computing machine; information processing system; computing device; electronic computer.
- noun an expert at calculation (or at operating calculating machines)
calculator; estimator; figurer; reckoner.
- adjective a quantifier that can be used with count nouns and is often preceded by `as' or `too' or `so' or `that'; amounting to a large but indefinite number
- many temptations
- the temptations are many
- a good many
- a great many
- many directions
- take as many apples as you like
- too many clouds to see
- never saw so many people
- noun address to an absent or imaginary person
- noun the mark (') used to indicate the omission of one or more letters from a printed word
- noun a way of regarding situations or topics etc.
- consider what follows from the positivist view
- noun the visual percept of a region
prospect; vista; panorama; scene; aspect.
- the most desirable feature of the park are the beautiful views
How can we make the selection of words better for you?
Words are expressive, emotive, nuanced, subtle, erudite and discerning!
Unfortunately words are sometimes also elusive, deceptive, fleeting in memory.
Through months of bittersweet labor, we finally have assembled words together by context. A novel way to search for new and elusive words. Hope they help you!Are we in the right direction? Are your needs fulfilled? If so how? Is there anything we can do or do better? Please let us know in the feedback form!