- noun the act of expressing earnest opposition or protest
objection; remonstration; remonstrance.
- noun an exclamation of protest or remonstrance or reproof
More 'expostulation' Meaning
- noun a gambling card game of Spanish origin; 3 or 4 cards are dealt face up and players bet that one of them will be matched before the others as the cards are dealt from the pack one at a time
three-card monte; four-card monte.
More 'monte' Meaning
- noun the cardinal number that is the sum of three and one
tetrad; quaternity; quadruplet; foursome; Little Joe; IV; quaternion; quatern; quaternary; quartet; 4.
- noun a playing card or domino or die whose upward face shows four pips
More 'four' Meaning
- noun any structure that makes progress difficult
impedimenta; impediment; obstructor; obstructer.
- noun the physical condition of blocking or filling a passage with an obstruction
More 'obstruction' Meaning
- noun mutual communication; communication with each other
- they intercepted intercommunication between enemy ships
More 'intercommunication' Meaning
- noun an optical illusion in which atmospheric refraction by a layer of hot air distorts or inverts reflections of distant objects
- noun something illusory and unattainable
More 'mirage' Meaning
- noun the mistake of not following suit when able to do so
- verb fail to fulfill a promise or obligation
renege on; go back on; renegue on.
- She backed out of her promise
More 'renege' Meaning
- noun a disposition to behave aggressively
- noun a feeling of hostility that arouses thoughts of attack
More 'aggression' Meaning
- noun a card game in which you play your sevens and other cards in sequence in the same suit as the sevens; you win if you are the first to use all your cards
- noun the cardinal number that is the sum of six and one
seven; heptad; sevener; VII; septet; 7; septenary.
More 'sevens' Meaning
- noun general activity and motion
- noun animation and energy in action or expression
life; sprightliness; spirit.
- it was a heavy play and the actors tried in vain to give life to it
More 'liveliness' Meaning
- noun extreme care in spending money; reluctance to spend money unnecessarily
parsimony; penny-pinching; thrift.
- noun extreme stinginess
tightfistedness; minginess; niggardliness; meanness; closeness; niggardness; tightness; parsimony.
More 'parsimoniousness' Meaning
- noun stately heavy-bodied aquatic bird with very long neck and usually white plumage as adult
- verb to declare or affirm solemnly and formally as true
avow; affirm; verify; assert; swear; aver.
- Before God I swear I am innocent
More 'swan' Meaning
- noun a cutaneous sensation often resulting from light stroking
- noun the act of tickling
More 'tickle' Meaning
- noun a motor vehicle with two wheels and a strong frame
- noun a wheeled vehicle that has two wheels and is moved by foot pedals
wheel; bicycle; cycle.
More 'bike' Meaning
- noun an equal exchange
swop; barter; trade.
- we had no money so we had to live by barter
- verb exchange or give (something) in exchange for
switch; swop; trade.
More 'swap' Meaning
- noun a disappointing decline after a previous rise
- the anticlimax of a brilliant career
- noun a change from a serious subject to a disappointing one
More 'anticlimax' Meaning
- noun a small contrasting part of something
speckle; spot; patch; maculation; fleck.
- a bald spot
- a leopard's spots
- a patch of clouds
- patches of thin ice
- a fleck of red
- verb colour with streaks or blotches of different shades
More 'dapple' Meaning
- noun the sound made by a sharp swift blow
- noun the act of hitting vigorously
knock; whang; rap; belt.
- he gave the table a whack
More 'whack' Meaning
- noun the act of removing hair with a razor
- noun a thin fragment or slice (especially of wood) that has been shaved from something
More 'shaving' Meaning
- noun a fictitious detective in stories by A. Conan Doyle
- noun United States jurist noted for his liberal opinions (1841-1935)
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr..
More 'holmes' Meaning
- noun a hypothesis that has been formed by speculating or conjecturing (usually with little hard evidence)
- speculations about the outcome of the election
- he dismissed it as mere conjecture
- noun a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
guess; supposition; surmisal; hypothesis; speculation; surmise.
More 'conjecture' Meaning
- noun an act passed by a legislative body
- adjective satellite enacted by a legislative body
- statute law
- codified written laws
More 'statute' Meaning
- noun the branch of international law that deals with territorial and international waters or with shipping or with ocean fishery etc.
maritime law; admiralty law.
More 'marine_law' Meaning
- noun recovery or preservation from loss or danger
delivery; saving; deliverance.
- work is the deliverance of mankind
- a surgeon's job is the saving of lives
- verb free from harm or evil
More 'rescue' Meaning
- noun stimulation of activity in an organism or chemical
- noun the activity of causing to have energy and be active
More 'activation' Meaning
- noun a growth in strength or number or importance
- noun the act of changing location in an upward direction
ascension; ascent; ascending.
More 'rise' Meaning
- noun putting the wrong interpretation on
- his misinterpretation of the question caused his error
- there was no mistaking her meaning
- noun an understanding of something that is not correct
- he wasn't going to admit his mistake
- make no mistake about his intentions
- there must be some misunderstanding--I don't have a sister
More 'misunderstanding' Meaning
- verb make false by mutilation or addition; as of a message or story
warp; falsify; garble.
- verb form into a spiral shape
More 'distort' Meaning
- noun money set aside (as by a legislature) for a specific purpose
- noun incorporation by joining or uniting
More 'appropriation' Meaning
- noun a small worthless amount
diddlyshit; squat; shit; diddly-squat; diddly-shit; diddly; diddley; diddlysquat; doodly-squat.
- noun a man who serves as a sailor
Jack-tar; tar; old salt; sea dog; seaman; gob; seafarer; mariner.
More 'jack' Meaning
- noun the act of removing tangles from you hair with a comb
- noun the act of carefully weeding out unwanted things or people
- the department got a good comb-out
More 'comb-out' Meaning
- noun a detailed inspection of your conscience (as done daily by Jesuits)
- noun a critical study (as of a writer's work)
More 'examen' Meaning
- noun a minor short-term fight
skirmish; brush; clash.
- noun a casual or unexpected convergence
- he still remembers their meeting in Paris
- there was a brief encounter in the hallway
More 'encounter' Meaning
- noun contact by fitting together
engagement; meshing; mesh.
- the engagement of the clutch
- the meshing of gears
- noun the act of interlocking or meshing
mesh; interlock; meshing.
- an interlocking of arms by the police held the crowd in check
More 'interlocking' Meaning
- noun an estimation that is too low; an estimate that is less than the true or actual value
underestimation; underestimate; underrating.
More 'underreckoning' Meaning
- noun a mixer incorporating a coil of wires; used for whipping eggs or cream
- noun a small short-handled broom used to brush clothes
More 'whisk' Meaning
- noun absentminded dreaming while awake
revery; castle in Spain; air castle; daydreaming; reverie; castle in the air; oneirism.
- verb have a daydream; indulge in a fantasy
woolgather; stargaze; dream.
More 'daydream' Meaning
- noun a formal entry into an organization or position or office
- his initiation into the club
- he was ordered to report for induction into the army
- he gave a speech as part of his installation into the hall of fame
- noun an electrical phenomenon whereby an electromotive force (EMF) is generated in a closed circuit by a change in the flow of current
More 'induction' Meaning
- noun a brief high-pitched buzzing or humming sound
- the zing of the passing bullet
- noun the activeness of an energetic personality
pizzazz; pizzaz; dynamism; oomph.
More 'zing' Meaning
- noun the use or application of an accent; the relative prominence of syllables in a phrase or utterance
- noun the act of giving special importance or significance to something
More 'accentuation' Meaning
- noun a science (or group of related sciences) dealing with the logic of quantity and shape and arrangement
More 'math' Meaning
- noun the quality of being lax and neglectful
slackness; remissness; laxity.
- noun the condition of being physiologically lax
- baths can help the laxness of the bowels
More 'laxness' Meaning
- noun the channel or break produced by erosion of relatively soft soil by water
- it was several days after the storm before they could repair the washout and open the road
- noun the erosive process of washing away soil or gravel by water (as from a roadway)
- from the house they watched the washout of their newly seeded lawn by the water
More 'washout' Meaning
- noun a successful ending of a struggle or contest
- a narrow victory
- the general always gets credit for his army's victory
- clinched a victory
- convincing victory
- the agreement was a triumph for common sense
- noun the exultation of victory
More 'triumph' Meaning
- noun a wheeled vehicle that has two wheels and is moved by foot pedals
wheel; bike; cycle.
- verb ride a bicycle
wheel; pedal; bike; cycle.
More 'bicycle' Meaning
- noun in general, any very close finish; in particular, a finish of a race in which the contestants are so close together that the winner must be determined from a photograph taken at the instant of finishing
More 'photo_finish' Meaning
- noun the process of coming into being; becoming reality
- the materialization of her dream
- noun an appearance in bodily form (as of a disembodied spirit)
More 'materialisation' Meaning
- adjective satellite not on target
- the kick was wide
- the arrow was wide of the mark
- a claim that was wide of the truth
More 'wide_of_the_mark' Meaning
- noun (electronics) a sharp transient wave in the normal electrical state (or a series of such transients)
pulsing; pulsation; impulse.
- the pulsations seemed to be coming from a star
- noun the rhythmic contraction and expansion of the arteries with each beat of the heart
beat; heartbeat; pulsation.
- he could feel the beat of her heart
More 'pulse' Meaning
- noun horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
- noun a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
More 'nail' Meaning
- noun 1/60 of a minute; the basic unit of time adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites
- noun an indefinitely short time
moment; bit; mo; minute.
- wait just a moment
- in a mo
- it only takes a minute
- in just a bit
More 'second' Meaning
- noun a repeated order for the same merchandise
- he's the one who sends out all the new orders and reorders
- verb assign a new order to
More 'reorder' Meaning
- noun the act of performing; of doing something successfully; using knowledge as distinguished from merely possessing it
performance; execution; carrying out.
- they criticised his performance as mayor
- experience generally improves performance
More 'carrying_into_action' Meaning
- noun an assistant subject to the authority or control of another
underling; foot soldier; subsidiary.
- noun a word that is more specific than a given word
hyponym; subordinate word.
More 'subordinate' Meaning
- noun the latter part of the day (the period of decreasing daylight from late afternoon until nightfall)
eventide; evening; eve.
- he enjoyed the evening light across the lake
- verb make level or straight
even out; level; flush.
More 'even' Meaning
- verb fail to fulfill a promise or obligation
renege on; go back on; renege.
- She backed out of her promise
More 'renegue_on' Meaning
- noun a play made on a ground ball in which the fielder chooses to put out an advancing runner instead of the batter
More 'fielder's_choice' Meaning
- adjective not having or showing or requiring special skill or proficiency
- unskilled in the art of rhetoric
- an enthusiastic but unskillful mountain climber
- unskilled labor
- workers in unskilled occupations are finding fewer and fewer job opportunities
- unskilled workmanship
- adjective satellite lacking professional skill or expertise
amateurish; amateur; inexpert.
- a very amateurish job
- inexpert but conscientious efforts
- an unskilled painting
More 'unskilled' Meaning
- noun the act of applying force to propel something
- after reaching the desired velocity the drive is cut off
More 'driving_force' Meaning
- noun manner of acting or controlling yourself
behaviour; doings; behavior.
- noun (behavioral attributes) the way a person behaves toward other people
demeanour; behaviour; demeanor; deportment; behavior.
More 'conduct' Meaning
- noun a positive motivational influence
- noun act of bringing about a desired result
More 'inducement' Meaning
- noun skating on wheels
- verb travel on shoes with steel or rubber rollers attached to their soles
- In some fashionable restaurants, the waiters roller skate around
More 'roller_skating' Meaning
- noun sports that involve bodies of water
- noun a plant that lives in or on water
More 'aquatics' Meaning
- noun (computer science) the operation of accessing information from the computer's memory
- noun the cognitive operation of accessing information in memory
- my retrieval of people's names is very poor
More 'retrieval' Meaning
- noun a plaything consisting of a board balanced on a fulcrum; the board is ridden up and down by children at either end
tilting board; teeter; teeter-totter; seesaw; dandle board; teeterboard.
- verb ride on a plank
More 'teetertotter' Meaning
- noun the activity of protecting someone or something
- the witnesses demanded police protection
- noun a covering that is intend to protect from damage or injury
protective covering; protective cover.
- they had no protection from the fallout
- wax provided protection for the floors
More 'protection' Meaning
- noun the act of pursuing in an effort to overtake or capture
following; pursual; chase.
- the culprit started to run and the cop took off in pursuit
- noun a search for an alternative that meets cognitive criteria
- the pursuit of love
- life is more than the pursuance of fame
- a quest for wealth
More 'pursuit' Meaning
- noun chemical agent capable of activity
- noun the voice used to indicate that the grammatical subject of the verb is performing the action or causing the happening denoted by the verb
- `The boy threw the ball' uses the active voice
More 'active' Meaning
- noun the trait of wasting resources
- a life characterized by thriftlessness and waste
- the wastefulness of missed opportunities
- noun useless or profitless activity; using or expending or consuming thoughtlessly or carelessly
- if the effort brings no compensating gain it is a waste
- mindless dissipation of natural resources
More 'wastefulness' Meaning
- noun (ethnic slur) offensive term for a person of Chinese descent
- noun a narrow opening as e.g. between planks in a wall
More 'chink' Meaning
- noun a joyful occasion for special festivities to mark some happy event
- noun any joyous diversion
More 'celebration' Meaning
- noun an undulating curve
- noun wavelike motion; a gentle rising and falling in the manner of waves
More 'undulation' Meaning
- noun the trait of acting stupidly or rashly
- noun the quality of being rash and foolish
folly; madness; craziness.
- trying to drive through a blizzard is the height of folly
- adjusting to an insane society is total foolishness
More 'foolishness' Meaning
- noun approval
- give her recognition for trying
- he was given credit for his work
- give her credit for trying
- noun money available for a client to borrow
More 'credit' Meaning
- noun a person who has died and has been declared a saint by canonization
- noun person of exceptional holiness
holy person; angel; holy man.
More 'saint' Meaning
- noun the roaring sound made by a motor that is running at high speed
- verb make a loud, roaring sound, as of a car engine, while moving
More 'vroom' Meaning
- noun the military forces of a nation
armed forces; armed services; military machine; war machine.
- their military is the largest in the region
- the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker
- adjective of or relating to the study of the principles of warfare
More 'military' Meaning
- noun a domestic servant
- adjective satellite used of unskilled work (especially domestic work)
More 'menial' Meaning
- noun a flower that blooms in a particular way
- noun an embarrassing mistake
botch; boo-boo; flub; blooper; blunder; foul-up; pratfall; boner; fuckup; bungle.
More 'bloomer' Meaning
- noun disapproval expressed by pointing out faults or shortcomings
- the senator received severe criticism from his opponent
- noun a serious examination and judgment of something
- constructive criticism is always appreciated
More 'criticism' Meaning
- noun a father who willfully defaults on his obligation to provide financial support for his offspring
More 'deadbeat_dad' Meaning
- noun a prediction made by extrapolating from past observations
- noun the projection of an image from a film onto a screen
More 'projection' Meaning
- noun an animal that has strayed (especially a domestic animal)
- verb move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment
ramble; cast; swan; drift; wander; tramp; range; rove; roam; vagabond; roll.
- The gypsies roamed the woods
- roving vagabonds
- the wandering Jew
- The cattle roam across the prairie
- the laborers drift from one town to the next
- They rolled from town to town
More 'stray' Meaning
- noun a mistake in printed matter resulting from mechanical failures of some kind
typographical error; misprint; erratum; literal; typo.
More 'literal_error' Meaning
- verb escape, either physically or mentally
- The thief eluded the police
- This difficult idea seems to evade her
- The event evades explanation
- verb be incomprehensible to; escape understanding by
- What you are seeing in him eludes me
More 'elude' Meaning
- noun a card game in which cards face up on the table are taken with eligible cards in the hand
More 'cassino' Meaning
- noun an expert at calculation (or at operating calculating machines)
calculator; estimator; computer; figurer.
- noun a handbook of tables used to facilitate computation
More 'reckoner' Meaning
- noun the act of acknowledging that someone has an occasion for celebration
- noun (usually plural) an expression of pleasure at the success or good fortune of another
- I sent them my sincere congratulations on their marriage
More 'congratulation' Meaning
- verb surround so as to force to give up
beleaguer; hem in; surround; besiege.
- The Turks besieged Vienna
- verb beat through cleverness and wit
outsmart; beat; overreach; outwit; outfox.
- I beat the traffic
- She outfoxed her competitors
More 'circumvent' Meaning
- noun a farm tool having one or more heavy blades to break the soil and cut a furrow prior to sowing
- verb to break and turn over earth especially with a plow
- Farmer Jones plowed his east field last week
- turn the earth in the Spring
More 'plow' Meaning
- noun the act of distributing by allotting or apportioning; distribution according to a plan
allocation; parceling; apportioning; allotment; parcelling; assignation.
- the apportionment of seats in the House of Representatives is based on the relative population of each state
More 'apportionment' Meaning
- noun someone who refuses to do what is asked or does the opposite of what is asked
- noun someone who is resigned to defeat without offering positive suggestions
More 'negativist' Meaning
- noun an episode of such pastoral or romantic charm as to qualify as the subject of a poetic idyll
- noun a musical composition that evokes rural life
pastorale; pastoral; idyl.
More 'idyll' Meaning
- noun a disputant who quibbles; someone who raises annoying petty objections
caviler; caviller; pettifogger.
More 'quibbler' Meaning
- noun an unavoidable event
- don't argue with the inevitable
- adjective incapable of being avoided or prevented
More 'inevitable' Meaning
- noun a telephone connection
telephone call; phone call.
- she reported several anonymous calls
- he placed a phone call to London
- he heard the phone ringing but didn't want to take the call
- noun a special disposition (as if from a divine source) to pursue a particular course
- he was disappointed that he had not heard the Call
More 'call' Meaning
- noun a mistake in printed matter resulting from mechanical failures of some kind
typographical error; misprint; erratum; literal; literal error.
More 'typo' Meaning
- noun the act of taking something back
- verb take back by force, as after a battle
- The military forces managed to recapture the fort
More 'retaking' Meaning
- adjective lacking in caution
- an incautious remark
- incautious talk
- adjective satellite carelessly failing to exercise proper caution
- an incautious step sent her headlong down the stairs
More 'incautious' Meaning
- noun the sport or pastime of scaling rock masses on mountain sides (especially with the help of ropes and special equipment)
More 'rock_climbing' Meaning
- noun the classification of someone or something with respect to its worth
- noun an amount determined as payable
- the assessment for repairs outraged the club's membership
More 'assessment' Meaning
- noun a reckless and impetuous person
- adjective satellite characterized by undue haste and lack of thought or deliberation; (`brainish' is archaic)
impetuous; brainish; impulsive; madcap; hotheaded.
- a hotheaded decision
- liable to such impulsive acts as hugging strangers
- an impetuous display of spending and gambling
- madcap escapades
More 'tearaway' Meaning
- noun an inclination to retreat from unpleasant realities through diversion or fantasy
- romantic novels were her escape from the stress of daily life
- his alcohol problem was a form of escapism
More 'escapism' Meaning
- noun the words that are spoken in the activity of verbalization
- noun the activity of expressing something in words
More 'verbalization' Meaning
- noun an act of delaying or interrupting the continuity
break; interruption; gap.
- it was presented without commercial breaks
- there was a gap in his account
- noun a disorderly outburst or tumult
to-do; disturbance; hurly burly; kerfuffle; commotion; hoo-ha; hoo-hah; flutter.
- they were amazed by the furious disturbance they had caused
More 'disruption' Meaning
- noun a mutual or reciprocal action; interacting
- noun (physics) the transfer of energy between elementary particles or between an elementary particle and a field or between fields; mediated by gauge bosons
More 'interaction' Meaning
- noun a painful or straitened circumstance
- the pinch of the recession
- noun an injury resulting from getting some body part squeezed
More 'pinch' Meaning
- verb make a mess of, destroy or ruin
muck up; blow; botch up; botch; bollix; fumble; mishandle; bollocks; bumble; ball up; bobble; bollocks up; spoil; bollix up; fuck up; fluff; flub; bodge; muff; louse up; mess up; screw up; bungle.
- I botched the dinner and we had to eat out
- the pianist screwed up the difficult passage in the second movement
More 'foul_up' Meaning
- noun the act of grasping
grip; clutches; clutch; clench; grasp; clasp.
- he released his clasp on my arm
- he has a strong grip for an old man
- she kept a firm hold on the railing
- noun understanding of the nature or meaning or quality or magnitude of something
- he has a good grasp of accounting practices
More 'hold' Meaning
- noun a form of baseball played in the streets with a rubber ball and broomstick handle
More 'stickball' Meaning
- noun unskillfulness resulting from a lack of training
awkwardness; ineptitude; maladroitness; clumsiness; slowness.
- noun the quality of having the wrong properties for a specific purpose
More 'ineptness' Meaning
- noun a unit of language that native speakers can identify
- words are the blocks from which sentences are made
- he hardly said ten words all morning
- noun a brief statement
- he didn't say a word about it
More 'word' Meaning
- verb to make a mistake or be incorrect
- verb wander from a direct course or at random
- The child strayed from the path and her parents lost sight of her
- don't drift from the set course
More 'err' Meaning
- noun a person who participates in or is skilled at some game
- noun someone who plays a musical instrument (as a profession)
More 'player' Meaning
- noun the action of accomplishing something
- noun an ability that has been acquired by training
acquirement; attainment; skill; acquisition.
More 'accomplishment' Meaning
- noun one celestial body obscures another
- verb be greater in significance than
- the tragedy overshadowed the couple's happiness
More 'eclipse' Meaning
- noun a putout of a base runner who is required to run; the putout is accomplished by holding the ball while touching the base to which the runner must advance before the runner reaches that base
force play; force out; force.
- the shortstop got the runner at second on a force
More 'force-out' Meaning
- noun a gem (usually a diamond) in a setting by itself
- noun extinct flightless bird related to the dodo
More 'solitaire' Meaning
- adjective designating or involving an equation whose terms are not of the first degree
More 'nonlinear' Meaning
- noun the classification of someone or something with respect to its worth
- noun a document appraising the value of something (as for insurance or taxation)
More 'appraisal' Meaning
- noun an item of information that is typical of a class or group
instance; illustration; representative.
- this patient provides a typical example of the syndrome
- there is an example on page 10
- noun a representative form or pattern
- I profited from his example
More 'example' Meaning
- noun a narrow pass (especially one between mountains)
- verb place under suspicion or cast doubt upon
sully; corrupt; taint; cloud.
- sully someone's reputation
More 'defile' Meaning
- noun the elasticity of something that can be stretched and returns to its original length
- verb cause to have, in the abstract sense or physical sense
- She gave him a black eye
- The draft gave me a cold
More 'give' Meaning
- noun the highest point of anything conceived of as growing or developing or unfolding
- the climax of the artist's career
- in the flood tide of his success
- noun the decisive moment in a novel or play
- the deathbed scene is the climax of the play
More 'climax' Meaning
- noun a unit of length equal to one twelfth of a foot
- noun a rare soft silvery metallic element; occurs in small quantities in sphalerite
indium; atomic number 49.
More 'in' Meaning
- adjective satellite with little or no preparation or forethought
extemporaneous; extempore; offhand; ad-lib; extemporary; unrehearsed; impromptu; off-the-cuff.
- his ad-lib comments showed poor judgment
- an extemporaneous piano recital
- an extemporary lecture
- an extempore skit
- an impromptu speech
- offhand excuses
- trying to sound offhanded and reassuring
- an off-the-cuff toast
- a few unrehearsed comments
- adjective satellite casually thoughtless or inconsiderate
- an offhand manner
- she treated most men with offhand contempt
More 'offhanded' Meaning
- verb speak unfavorably about
traduce; badmouth; drag through the mud.
- She badmouths her husband everywhere
- adjective evil or harmful in nature or influence
- prompted by malign motives
- believed in witches and malign spirits
- gave him a malign look
- a malign lesion
More 'malign' Meaning
- noun the trait of being cautious; being attentive to possible danger
- noun a warning against certain acts
- a caveat against unfair practices
More 'caution' Meaning
- noun Islamic laws stating the limits ordained by Allah and including the deterrent punishments for serious crimes
More 'hudud' Meaning
- noun a person whose behavior deviates from what is acceptable especially in sexual behavior
pervert; deviate; deviant.
- verb grow worse
drop; devolve; deteriorate.
- Her condition deteriorated
- Conditions in the slums degenerated
- The discussion devolved into a shouting match
More 'degenerate' Meaning
- noun the act of putting a person into a non-elective position
assignment; naming; designation.
- the appointment had to be approved by the whole committee
- noun a meeting arranged in advance
- she asked how to avoid kissing at the end of a date
More 'appointment' Meaning
- noun the financial means whereby one lives
living; support; livelihood; bread and butter; sustenance.
- each child was expected to pay for their keep
- he applied to the state for support
- he could no longer earn his own livelihood
- noun the main tower within the walls of a medieval castle or fortress
More 'keep' Meaning
- adjective satellite hasty and without attention to detail; not thorough
perfunctory; passing; casual.
- a casual (or cursory) inspection failed to reveal the house's structural flaws
- a passing glance
- perfunctory courtesy
More 'cursory' Meaning
- noun a written assurance that some product or service will be provided or will meet certain specifications
warrantee; warranty; warrant.
- noun an unconditional commitment that something will happen or that something is true
- there is no guarantee that they are not lying
More 'guarantee' Meaning
- noun a formal event performed on a special occasion
ceremonial occasion; observance; ceremonial.
- a ceremony commemorating Pearl Harbor
- noun any activity that is performed in an especially solemn elaborate or formal way
- the ceremony of smelling the cork and tasting the wine
- he makes a ceremony of addressing his golf ball
- he disposed of it without ceremony
More 'ceremony' Meaning
- noun either extremity of something that has length
- the end of the pier
- she knotted the end of the thread
- they rode to the end of the line
- the terminals of the anterior arches of the fornix
- noun the point in time at which something ends
- the end of the year
- the ending of warranty period
More 'end' Meaning
- noun return to an original state
- the recovery of the forest after the fire was surprisingly rapid
- noun gradual healing (through rest) after sickness or injury
More 'recovery' Meaning
- noun (New Testament) day at the end of time following Armageddon when God will decree the fates of all individual humans according to the good and evil of their earthly lives
Day of Judgment; Day of Judgement; Judgment Day; Last Judgment; Judgement Day; doomsday; eschaton; crack of doom; day of reckoning; Last Day; Last Judgement.
- noun an unpleasant or disastrous destiny
doomsday; day of reckoning; doom.
- everyone was aware of the approaching doom but was helpless to avoid it
- that's unfortunate but it isn't the end of the world
More 'end_of_the_world' Meaning
- noun a long trough for feeding cattle
- noun a bed on a ship or train; usually in tiers
built in bed; berth.
More 'bunk' Meaning
- noun a short musical composition with words
- a successful musical must have at least three good songs
- noun a distinctive or characteristic sound
- the song of bullets was in the air
- the song of the wind
- the wheels sang their song as the train rocketed ahead
More 'song' Meaning
- noun the occurrence of a change for the worse
- noun loss of military equipment
More 'damage' Meaning
- noun a poor ability to understand or to profit from experience
- noun a stupid mistake
betise; folly; foolishness; imbecility.
More 'stupidity' Meaning
- noun conformity to high standards of ethics or excellence
- noun strict attention to minute details
punctiliousness; meticulosity; meticulousness.
More 'scrupulousness' Meaning
- noun (baseball) the act of hitting a baseball lightly without swinging the bat
- noun disease of wheat characterized by replacement of the grains with greasy masses of smelly smut spores
More 'bunt' Meaning
- noun a statement (either spoken or written) that is made to reply to a question or request or criticism or accusation
- I waited several days for his answer
- he wrote replies to several of his critics
- noun a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem
solvent; resolution; solution; result.
- they were trying to find a peaceful solution
- the answers were in the back of the book
- he computed the result to four decimal places
More 'answer' Meaning
- noun a judge of a probate court
- noun the expected or commonplace condition or situation
More 'ordinary' Meaning
- adjective satellite having a defect
- I returned the appliance because it was defective
- adjective satellite characterized by errors; not agreeing with a model or not following established rules; the wrong side of the road"
- he submitted a faulty report
- an incorrect transcription
More 'faulty' Meaning
- noun soft creamy candy
- verb tamper, with the purpose of deception
wangle; fake; cook; misrepresent; falsify; manipulate.
- Fudge the figures
- cook the books
- falsify the data
More 'fudge' Meaning
- noun a person who shirks his work or duty (especially one who tries to evade military service in wartime)
More 'shirker' Meaning
- noun money that is risked for possible monetary gain
- noun a risky act or venture
More 'gamble' Meaning
- noun the act of playing for stakes in the hope of winning (including the payment of a price for a chance to win a prize)
- his gambling cost him a fortune
- there was heavy play at the blackjack table
- verb place a bet on
stake; bet on; back; gage; game; punt.
- Which horse are you backing?
- I'm betting on the new horse
More 'gaming' Meaning
- verb fall in love with; become infatuated with
- She fell for the man from Brazil
- verb be deceived, duped, or entrapped by
- He fell for her charms
- He fell for the con man's story
More 'fall_for' Meaning
- noun a concept or idea not associated with any specific instance
- he loved her only in the abstract--not in person
- noun the act of withdrawing or removing something
More 'abstraction' Meaning
- noun a statement that represents something in words
- noun the act of describing something
More 'description' Meaning
- noun a state of confusion and disorderliness
messiness; muss; mussiness.
- the house was a mess
- she smoothed the mussiness of the bed
- noun informal terms for a difficult situation
kettle of fish; fix; muddle; jam; hole; pickle.
- he got into a terrible fix
- he made a muddle of his marriage
More 'mess' Meaning
- noun that which is contrary to the principles of justice or law
- he feels that you are in the wrong
- noun any harm or injury resulting from a violation of a legal right
legal injury; damage.
More 'wrong' Meaning
- noun the act of participating in an athletic competition in which you must jump
- noun the act of jumping; propelling yourself off the ground
- he advanced in a series of jumps
- the jumping was unexpected
More 'jumping' Meaning
- noun the sound of a horse's hoofs hitting on a hard surface
clip-clop; clunking; clopping; clop; clumping.
More 'clippety-clop' Meaning
- noun the act of taking something apart (as a piece of machinery)
- Russia and the United States discussed the dismantling of their nuclear weapons
More 'disassembly' Meaning
- noun the upper side of the thighs of a seated person
- he picked up the little girl and plopped her down in his lap
- noun an area of control or responsibility
- the job fell right in my lap
More 'lap' Meaning
- noun a chronic drinker
drunk; inebriate; sot; wino; drunkard.
- noun a card game based on collecting sets and sequences; the winner is the first to meld all their cards
More 'rummy' Meaning
- noun the state of being inactive
- noun a disposition to remain inactive or inert
- he had to overcome his inertia and get back to work
More 'inactivity' Meaning
- noun the acquisition of something for payment
- they closed the purchase with a handshake
- noun something acquired by purchase
More 'purchase' Meaning
- noun earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
try; effort; endeavor; endeavour.
- made an effort to cover all the reading material
- wished him luck in his endeavor
- she gave it a good try
- noun the act of attacking
- attacks on women increased last year
- they made an attempt on his life
More 'attempt' Meaning
- noun one of three equal parts of a divisible whole
- it contains approximately a third of the minimum daily requirement
- noun the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the third of the bases in the infield (counting counterclockwise from home plate)
More 'third' Meaning
- noun an instance of deliberate thinking
- I need to give it a good think
- verb judge or regard; look upon; judge
conceive; believe; consider.
- I think he is very smart
- I believe her to be very smart
- I think that he is her boyfriend
- The racist conceives such people to be inferior
More 'think' Meaning
- noun riding on a long light sled with low handrails
- verb move along on a luge or toboggan
More 'tobogganing' Meaning
- noun (physics) a flash of light that is produced in a phosphor when it absorbs a photon or ionizing particle
- noun a rapid change in brightness; a brief spark or flash
More 'scintillation' Meaning
- noun a recognizable kind
- there's a new brand of hero in the movies now
- what make of car is that?
- noun the act of mixing cards haphazardly
More 'make' Meaning
- noun air moving (sometimes with considerable force) from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure
air current; current of air.
- trees bent under the fierce winds
- when there is no wind, row
- the radioactivity was being swept upwards by the air current and out into the atmosphere
- noun a tendency or force that influences events
More 'wind' Meaning
- noun (histology) the use of a dye to color specimens for microscopic study
- noun the act of spotting or staining something
More 'staining' Meaning
- noun a game with two players who use rackets to strike a ball that is tethered to the top of a pole; the object is to wrap the string around the pole
More 'tetherball' Meaning
- noun (cricket) the division of play during which six balls are bowled at the batsman by one player from the other team from the same end of the pitch
- adjective satellite having come or been brought to a conclusion
concluded; terminated; complete; ended; all over.
- the harvesting was complete
- the affair is over, ended, finished
- the abruptly terminated interview
More 'over' Meaning
- noun a law forbidding the sale of alcoholic beverages
- in 1920 the 18th amendment to the Constitution established prohibition in the US
- noun a decree that prohibits something
More 'prohibition' Meaning
- noun a deliberately false or improbable account
- noun a short moral story (often with animal characters)
parable; allegory; apologue.
More 'fable' Meaning
- noun bad or dishonest management by persons supposed to act on another's behalf
- noun activity that transgresses moral or civil law
wrongful conduct; wrongdoing; actus reus.
More 'misconduct' Meaning
- noun accuracy with which an electronic system reproduces the sound or image of its input signal
- noun the quality of being faithful
More 'fidelity' Meaning
- noun the activity of causing to have energy and be active
- verb put in motion or move to act
activate; touch off; trigger off; actuate; set off; trigger; spark off; spark; trip.
- trigger a reaction
- actuate the circuits
More 'activating' Meaning
- noun someone who is dreaming
- noun someone guided more by ideals than by practical considerations
More 'dreamer' Meaning
- noun the act of digging something out of the ground (especially a corpse) where it has been buried
digging up; exhumation.
More 'disinterment' Meaning
- noun the physical coming together of two or more things
- contact with the pier scraped paint from the hull
- noun the act of contacting one thing with another
- repeated hitting raised a large bruise