morepork : Related Words Words similar in meaning to morepork
- tasmanian boobook
- norfolk boobook
- rufous owl
- southern boobook
- tasmanian boobooks
- ninox leucopsis
- moreporks sleep
- main hunting time
- janette norman
- australian mainland boobooks
- new zealand subspecies
- michael wink
- main hunting technique
- norfolk island boobook
- le christidis
- huhu beetle
- middle hour
- deep tropical forest
- wing action
- lord howe boobook
- walter bole
- agile bird
- ninox novaeseelandiae
- isolated stand
- adult pair
- temperate woodland
- norman study
- suitable food
- alternative common name
- brown owl
- separate taxon
- alpine grassland
- ngaio marsh
- discworld novel
- arid zone
- specie status
- native forest
- dark night
- terry pratchett
- closest relative
- new zealand
- pine forest
- single specie
- main city
- short story
- external link
- 20th century
- noun support consisting of a branch or rod that serves as a resting place (especially for a bird)
- noun a linear measure of 16.5 feet
- noun a classification of organisms into groups based on similarities of structure or origin etc
- noun (biology) study of the general principles of scientific classification
- noun coins collectively
metal money; coinage; mintage.
pratchettSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun one of a number of things from which only one can be chosen
- what option did I have?
- there no other alternative
- my only choice is to refuse
- adjective satellite serving or used in place of another
- an alternative plan
- noun a chronic inflammatory collagen disease affecting connective tissue (skin or joints)
- noun the pursuit and killing or capture of wild animals regarded as a sport
- noun the activity of looking thoroughly in order to find something or someone
- adjective satellite moving quickly and lightly
quick; spry; nimble.
- sleek and agile as a gymnast
- as nimble as a deer
- nimble fingers
- quick of foot
- the old dog was so spry it was halfway up the stairs before we could stop it
- adjective satellite mentally quick
- an agile mind
- nimble wits
- noun a practical method or art applied to some particular task
- noun skillfulness in the command of fundamentals deriving from practice and familiarity
- practice greatly improves proficiency
- noun an imaginary person represented in a work of fiction (play or film or story)
fictional character; fictitious character.
- she is the main character in the novel
- noun a characteristic property that defines the apparent individual nature of something
- each town has a quality all its own
- the radical character of our demands
- adjective satellite lacking sufficient water or rainfall
- an arid climate
- a waterless well
- miles of waterless country to cross
- adjective satellite lacking vitality or spirit; lifeless
- a technically perfect but arid performance of the sonata
- a desiccate romance
- a prissy and emotionless creature...settles into a mold of desiccated snobbery"-C.J.Rolo
- noun low-lying wet land with grassy vegetation; usually is a transition zone between land and water
fen; marshland; fenland.
- thousands of acres of marshland
- the fens of eastern England
- noun United States painter (1898-1954)
christidisSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun a person who has general authority over others
- noun terms referring to the Judeo-Christian God
Jehovah; Creator; God Almighty; Almighty; Divine; Maker; Godhead.
- noun any very large body of (salt) water
- noun a principal pipe in a system that distributes water or gas or electricity or that collects sewage
- noun (biochemistry) a class of hemoprotein whose principal biological function is electron transfer (especially in cellular respiration)
- noun an associate that one works with
workfellow; fellow worker; co-worker.
- noun a person who is member of one's class or profession
- the surgeon consulted his colleagues
- he sent e-mail to his fellow hackers
- noun an orange of low brightness and saturation
- noun Scottish botanist who first observed the movement of small particles in fluids now known a Brownian motion (1773-1858)
- noun the latter part of the day (the period of decreasing daylight from late afternoon until nightfall)
even; eventide; eve.
- he enjoyed the evening light across the lake
- noun a later concluding time period
- it was the evening of the Roman Empire
- noun any substance that can be metabolized by an animal to give energy and build tissue
- noun any solid substance (as opposed to liquid) that is used as a source of nourishment
- food and drink
mopokeSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun a prose narrative shorter than a novel
- noun a shelter with perches for fowl or other birds
- noun a perch on which domestic fowl rest or sleep
- noun absence of light or illumination
- noun absence of moral or spiritual values
iniquity; darkness; wickedness.
- the powers of darkness
- noun a wormlike and often brightly colored and hairy or spiny larva of a butterfly or moth
- noun a large tracked vehicle that is propelled by two endless metal belts; frequently used for moving earth in construction and farm work
- noun time for Earth to make a complete rotation on its axis
twenty-four hours; mean solar day; twenty-four hour period; solar day; 24-hour interval.
- two days later they left
- they put on two performances every day
- there are 30,000 passengers per day
- noun some point or period in time
- it should arrive any day now
- after that day she never trusted him again
- those were the days
- these days it is not unusual
- adjective relating to or characteristic of alps
- alpine sports
- adjective relating to the Alps and their inhabitants
- Alpine countries, Switzerland, Italy, France, and Germany
- noun port city located in southeastern Virginia on the Elizabeth River at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay; headquarters of the Atlantic fleet of the United States Navy
- noun a language unit by which a person or thing is known
- his name really is George Washington
- those are two names for the same thing
- noun a person's reputation
- he wanted to protect his good name
boobooksSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun (Old Testament) the guardian archangel of the Jews
- noun the time period between dawn and noon
morning time; forenoon; morn.
- I spent the morning running errands
- noun a conventional expression of greeting or farewell
- noun a piece of open land for recreational use in an urban area
green; park; commons.
- they went for a walk in the park
- adjective belonging to or participated in by a community as a whole; public
- for the common good
- common lands are set aside for use by all members of a community
- noun the time after sunset and before sunrise while it is dark outside
- noun a period of ignorance or backwardness or gloom
- noun a natural and periodic state of rest during which consciousness of the world is suspended
- he didn't get enough sleep last night
- calm as a child in dreamless slumber
- noun a torpid state resembling deep sleep
- noun the type of environment in which an organism or group normally lives or occurs
- a marine habitat
- he felt safe on his home grounds
- noun the act of exploding or bursting
- the explosion of the firecrackers awoke the children
- the burst of an atom bomb creates enormous radiation aloft
- noun rapid simultaneous discharge of firearms
fusillade; volley; salvo.
- our fusillade from the left flank caught them by surprise
- noun a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms
- noun a figure that branches from a single root
- genealogical tree
- noun terrestrial plant-eating insect with hind legs adapted for leaping
- noun a cocktail made of creme de menthe and cream (sometimes with creme de cacao)
- noun predatory arachnid with eight legs, two poison fangs, two feelers, and usually two silk-spinning organs at the back end of the body; they spin silk to make cocoons for eggs or traps for prey
- noun a computer program that prowls the internet looking for publicly accessible resources that can be added to a database; the database can then be searched with a search engine
- noun the light horny waterproof structure forming the external covering of birds
- noun the time after sunrise and before sunset while it is light outside
- the dawn turned night into day
- it is easier to make the repairs in the daytime
- noun light during the daytime
ninoxSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun insect having biting mouthparts and front wings modified to form horny covers overlying the membranous rear wings
- noun a tool resembling a hammer but with a large head (usually wooden); used to drive wedges or ram down paving stones or for crushing or beating or flattening or smoothing
- noun the first light of day
sunup; daybreak; break of day; dawning; aurora; morning; break of the day; first light; dayspring; cockcrow; sunrise.
- we got up before dawn
- they talked until morning
- noun the earliest period
- the dawn of civilization
- the morning of the world
- noun a human limb; technically the part of the superior limb between the shoulder and the elbow but commonly used to refer to the whole superior limb
- noun any projection that is thought to resemble a human arm
- the arm of the record player
- an arm of the sea
- a branch of the sewer
- noun the act of pouncing
- verb move down on as if in an attack
- The raptor swooped down on its prey
- The teacher swooped down upon the new students
- noun a separately printed article that originally appeared in a larger publication
- noun a garment that can be purchased separately and worn in combinations with other garments
- adjective not of long duration; having just (or relatively recently) come into being or been made or acquired or discovered
- a new law
- new cars
- a new comet
- a new friend
- a new year
- the New World
- adjective satellite original and of a kind not seen before
- the computer produced a completely novel proof of a well-known theorem
- noun warm-blooded egg-laying vertebrates characterized by feathers and forelimbs modified as wings
- noun the flesh of a bird or fowl (wild or domestic) used as food
- noun a soft oily clay used as a pigment (especially a reddish brown pigment)
- noun the main stem of a tree; usually covered with bark; the bole is usually the part that is commercially useful for lumber
tree trunk; trunk.
- noun the quality of being able to perform; a quality that permits or facilitates achievement or accomplishment
- noun possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done
- danger heightened his powers of discrimination
- noun any specific behavior
- they avoided all recreational activity
- noun the state of being active
- his sphere of activity
- he is out of action
- noun a rural area where farming is practiced
- noun arable land that is worked by plowing and sowing and raising crops
cultivated land; tilled land; ploughland; tilth; plowland; tillage.
- noun the main land mass of a country or continent; as distinguished from an island or peninsula
- noun a locally circumscribed place characterized by some distinctive features
- noun any of the regions of the surface of the Earth loosely divided according to latitude or longitude
- noun a land mass (smaller than a continent) that is surrounded by water
- noun a zone or area resembling an island
- noun a detailed critical inspection
- noun applying the mind to learning and understanding a subject (especially by reading)
- mastering a second language requires a lot of work
- no schools offer graduate study in interior design
- noun animal or plant group having natural relations
taxonomic category; taxonomic group.
- noun a support or foundation
- the base of the lamp
- noun the position where a thing or person stands
- noun something done (usually as opposed to something said)
- there were stories of murders and other unnatural actions
- noun the state of being active
- his sphere of activity
- he is out of action
morporkSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun nocturnal bird of prey with hawk-like beak and claws and large head with front-facing eyes
hooter; bird of night; bird of Minerva.
- noun a social unit living together
house; household; menage; home.
- he moved his family to Virginia
- It was a good Christian household
- I waited until the whole house was asleep
- the teacher asked how many people made up his home
- noun primary social group; parents and children
- he wanted to have a good job before starting a family
- noun the largest island of Denmark and the site of Copenhagen
- noun the atmospheric conditions that comprise the state of the atmosphere in terms of temperature and wind and clouds and precipitation
atmospheric condition; conditions; weather condition.
- they were hoping for good weather
- every day we have weather conditions and yesterday was no exception
- the conditions were too rainy for playing in the snow
- verb face and withstand with courage
brave out; brave; endure.
- She braved the elements
- noun an animal that produces gametes (ova) that can be fertilized by male gametes (spermatozoa)
- noun a person who belongs to the sex that can have babies
discworldSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun an independent country within the British Commonwealth; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1907; known for sheep and spectacular scenery
- noun North Island and South Island and adjacent small islands in the South Pacific
New Zealand Islands.
boobookSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
ruruSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun a large and densely populated urban area; may include several independent administrative districts
metropolis; urban center.
- Ancient Troy was a great city
- noun an incorporated administrative district established by state charter
- the city raised the tax rate
- noun a message that tells the particulars of an act or occurrence or course of events; presented in writing or drama or cinema or as a radio or television program
tale; narration; narrative.
- his narrative was interesting
- Disney's stories entertain adults as well as children
- noun a piece of fiction that narrates a chain of related events
- he writes stories for the magazines
- noun (biochemistry) a long linear polymer found in the nucleus of a cell and formed from nucleotides and shaped like a double helix; associated with the transmission of genetic information
deoxyribonucleic acid; desoxyribonucleic acid.
- DNA is the king of molecules
- noun a collection of facts from which conclusions may be drawn
- statistical data
- noun an item of factual information derived from measurement or research
data point; datum.
- adjective satellite relating to or situated in or characteristic of the tropics (the region on either side of the equator)
- tropical islands
- tropical fruit
- adjective of or relating to the tropics, or either tropic
- tropical year
- noun a telephone connection
telephone call; phone call.
- she reported several anonymous calls
- he placed a phone call to London
- he heard the phone ringing but didn't want to take the call
- noun a special disposition (as if from a divine source) to pursue a particular course
- he was disappointed that he had not heard the Call
- noun a person who is the aim of an attack (especially a victim of ridicule or exploitation) by some hostile person or influence
fair game; target; quarry.
- he fell prey to muggers
- everyone was fair game
- the target of a manhunt
- noun animal hunted or caught for food
novaeseelandiaeSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun the amount of 3-dimensional space occupied by an object
- the gas expanded to twice its original volume
- noun the property of something that is great in magnitude
- it is cheaper to buy it in bulk
- he received a mass of correspondence
- the volume of exports
- noun a fully developed person from maturity onward
- noun any mature animal
- noun an Australian state on the island of Tasmania
- noun an island off the southeastern coast of Australia
- noun a person related by blood or marriage
- police are searching for relatives of the deceased
- he has distant relations back in New Jersey
- noun an animal or plant that bears a relationship to another (as related by common descent or by membership in the same genus)
congeneric; congener; congenator.
- noun an extended fictional work in prose; usually in the form of a story
- noun a printed and bound book that is an extended work of fiction
- his bookcases were filled with nothing but novels
- he burned all the novels
- noun a period of time equal to 1/24th of a day
hr; 60 minutes.
- the job will take more than an hour
- noun clock time
time of day.
- the hour is getting late
- noun outward or visible aspect of a person or thing
- noun the event of coming into sight
- noun a base hit on which the batter stops safely at first base
- noun the smallest whole number or a numeral representing this number
ace; I; unity; one; 1.
- he has the one but will need a two and three to go with it
- they had lunch at one
leucopsisSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- adjective satellite meant or adapted for an occasion or use
- a tractor suitable (or fit) for heavy duty
- not an appropriate (or fit) time for flippancy
- adjective satellite worthy of being chosen especially as a spouse
- the parents found the girl suitable for their son
wetasSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun typically crepuscular or nocturnal insect having a stout body and feathery or hairlike antennae
- noun the central and most intense or profound part
- in the deep of night
- in the deep of winter
- noun a long steep-sided depression in the ocean floor
trench; oceanic abyss.
- noun scarabaeid beetle considered divine by ancient Egyptians
scarabaeus; Scarabaeus sacer.
- noun an area that is approximately central within some larger region
heart; eye; center; centre.
- it is in the center of town
- they ran forward into the heart of the struggle
- they were in the eye of the storm
- noun an intermediate part or section
- A whole is that which has beginning, middle, and end"- Aristotle
- noun any of various long-tailed rodents similar to but larger than a mouse
- noun someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike
strikebreaker; scab; blackleg.
- noun any of numerous small rodents typically resembling diminutive rats having pointed snouts and small ears on elongated bodies with slender usually hairless tails
- noun a swollen bruise caused by a blow to the eye
black eye; shiner.
- noun (biology) a taxonomic group that is a division of a species; usually arises as a consequence of geographical isolation within a species
- noun an indigenous person who was born in a particular place
indigen; aboriginal; indigene; aborigine.
- the art of the natives of the northwest coast
- the Canadian government scrapped plans to tax the grants to aboriginal college students
- noun a person born in a particular place or country
- he is a native of Brazil
- noun land that is covered with trees and shrubs
timberland; forest; timber.
- adjective satellite not close together in time
- isolated instances of rebellion
- a few stray crumbs
- verb place or set apart
- They isolated the political prisoners from the other inmates
- noun a coniferous tree
true pine; pine tree.
- noun straight-grained durable and often resinous white to yellowish timber of any of numerous trees of the genus Pinus
- noun a written work or composition that has been published (printed on pages bound together)
- I am reading a good book on economics
- noun physical objects consisting of a number of pages bound together
- he used a large book as a doorstop
- noun the trees and other plants in a large densely wooded area
- noun land that is covered with trees and shrubs
timberland; woodland; timber.
- noun a living organism characterized by voluntary movement
animate being; brute; beast; fauna; creature.
- adjective satellite marked by the appetites and passions of the body
fleshly; carnal; sensual.
- animal instincts
- carnal knowledge
- fleshly desire
- a sensual delight in eating
- music is the only sensual pleasure without vice
- noun the relative position or standing of things or especially persons in a society
- he had the status of a minor
- the novel attained the status of a classic
- atheists do not enjoy a favorable position in American life
- noun a state at a particular time
- a condition (or state) of disrepair
- the current status of the arms negotiations
- noun New Zealand writer of detective stories (1899-1982)
- adverb (superlative of `near' or `close') within the shortest distance
- that was the time he came nearest to death
- adjective at or within a short distance in space or time or having elements near each other
- close to noon
- how close are we to town?
- a close formation of ships
- noun the time of day immediately following sunset
crepuscle; fall; gloaming; gloam; evenfall; nightfall; twilight; crepuscule.
- he loved the twilight
- they finished before the fall of night
- verb become dusk
ankhSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun an instance or single occasion for some event
- this time he succeeded
- he called four times
- he could do ten at a clip
- noun a period of time considered as a resource under your control and sufficient to accomplish something
- take time to smell the roses
- I didn't have time to finish
- it took more than half my time
- adjective in or characteristic of a region of the United States south of (approximately) the Mason-Dixon line
- southern hospitality
- southern cooking
- southern plantations
- adjective satellite situated in or oriented toward the south
- a southern exposure
- took a southerly course
- noun any animal lacking a backbone or notochord; the term is not used as a scientific classification
- adjective lacking a backbone or spinal column
- worms are an example of invertebrate animals
- noun small air-breathing arthropod
- noun a person who has a nasty or unethical character undeserving of respect
dirt ball; worm; louse.
- noun a pile fabric (usually cotton) with uncut loops on both sides; used to make bath towels and bath robes
terrycloth; terry cloth.
- noun English actress (1847-1928)
Dame Ellen Terry; Dame Alice Ellen Terry.
- noun a set of two similar things considered as a unit
- noun two items of the same kind
twosome; span; distich; couple; duo; twain; yoke; couplet; duet; brace; dyad; duad.
huhuSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- adjective (of weather or climate) free from extremes; mild; or characteristic of such weather or climate
- a temperate region
- the temperate zones
- temperate plants
- adjective not extreme in behavior
- temperate in his habits
- a temperate response to an insult
- temperate in his eating and drinking
- noun the location on a baseball field where the shortstop is stationed
- noun accidental contact between two points in an electric circuit that have a potential difference
- noun an outer garment that has sleeves and covers the body from shoulder down; worn outdoors
- noun a thin layer covering something
- a second coat of paint
- noun a collection containing a variety of sorts of things
mixture; smorgasbord; motley; miscellanea; mixed bag; salmagundi; miscellany; assortment; potpourri.
- a great assortment of cars was on display
- he had a variety of disorders
- a veritable smorgasbord of religions
- noun noticeable heterogeneity
diversity; diverseness; multifariousness.
- a diversity of possibilities
- the range and variety of his work is amazing
- noun a very short time (as the time it takes the eye to blink or the heart to beat)
instant; blink of an eye; flash; New York minute; twinkling; jiffy; heartbeat; split second; trice.
- if I had the chance I'd do it in a flash
- noun closing one eye quickly as a signal
- noun the boundary of a surface
- noun a line determining the limits of an area
How can a man be born when he is old? John iii. 4.
- noun land where grass or grasslike vegetation grows and is the dominant form of plant life
ngaioSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun a movable organ for flying (one of a pair)
- noun one of the horizontal airfoils on either side of the fuselage of an airplane
janetteSorry, we do not have the definition for this word.
- noun outward features
- he enjoyed the solemn externals of religion
- adjective happening or arising or located outside or beyond some limits or especially surface
- the external auditory canal
- external pressures
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
How can we make the selection of words better for you?
Words are expressive, emotive, nuanced, subtle, erudite and discerning!
Unfortunately words are sometimes also elusive, deceptive, fleeting in memory.
Through months of bittersweet labor, we finally have assembled words together by context. A novel way to search for new and elusive words. Hope they help you!Are we in the right direction? Are your needs fulfilled? If so how? Is there anything we can do or do better? Please let us know in the feedback form!